Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Air temp

Paul D Jones

Similar results to some tests which I did a while back , I now run with the filter sticking outta the bonnet on the end of some stupidly long trumpets ...

I have been told several times since that for every +10C increase in air temp you loose 3% power , so that is a potential loss of about 15bhp on my little K .

Pasted from last post -

"Dear all .......

I've been playing on the dual carridgeway today , attemping to determine if there is a significant difference in the air temperature at the air filter vs the ambient air temperature when at standstill , travelling at 40mph after 1 mile and 2 miles , then at 60mph after 1 mile and 2 miles and hence power loss or potential gain to be had .

The car is out most weekends doing the Midland Speed Championship and I was trying to replicate the conditions prior to doing a timed sprint run . This usually involves bringing the engine up to temperature and then queing for about 5 minutes before going flat out for anything between 35 seconds and 2 minutes .

My engine is 1600 K series set up with DTHTB's with an ITG filter , running without a hole in the bonnet . The exhaust manifold has insulation wrap .

The temperatures were measured using 2 Comark air probes . One probe tie wrapped to the throttle cable sleeve coming out of the pedal box , which is directly in front of the filter/trumpets and , the second one tie wrapped to the front crossmember under the nose cone to measure the air temp entering the engine bay .

Ambient air temp = 15C

Engine temp on dash = 80-85C(Rising when stopped )

At standstill - engine running after 5 min :

Crossmember temp = 19.5C

Induction temp = 40.3C (Max)

Travelling at 40mph after 1 mile

Crossmember temp = 18C

Induction temp = 29C

Travelling at 40mph after 2 mile

Crossmember temp = 16C

Induction temp = 25C

Then back to standstill , after 5 min :

Crossmember temp = 18.9C

Induction temp = 39.1C (Max)

Travelling at 60mph after 1 mile

Crossmember temp = 17.2C

Induction temp = 27C

Travelling at 60mph after 2 mile

Crossmember temp = 16.3C

Induction temp = 22C

I then drove it all the way back down the dual carridgeway for 4 miles at around 70mph :

Crossmember temp = 17C

Induction temp = 21C

SO ??

When I'm at the start line my induction air temp could rise to around 40C and it would only slowly fall to a best of 21C after 4 miles .

Or more typicaly remain a minimum of 10-15C higher than the air which would be available if the filter / trumpets were sticking out of the bonnet(??) .

Dave

Now i understand what the air scope is for on the MOG site, the penny has dropped *confused*, having an older car with filters poking out the bonnet i could not work out what the scope was for 😳. and i call myself a mechanic *eek*

The Latest Bentley Boy 😬