Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Towing Points - was I dreaming?

GrahamV

I'm sure i read somewhere that several motor clubs were introducing a supplementary regulation that road cars in sprints and hillclimbs had to have towing points clearly marked - this was in advance of MSA Blue Book changes for 2013.

I also remember something about if your car was to be towed by the roll bar then you needed two yellow rings to show where the towing strap should be attached.

I've looked at the Regs for our first three events and I can't see anything relating to towing points. Did I dream all this during one of my afternoon naps? Has anybody else heard of this?

Graham *wavey*

Grammer / english now corrected *smile*

Edited by - GrahamV on 25 Mar 2011 12:40:22

When I did the intro to sprinting at Curborough last year the 2 scutineers did not agree on this point - 1 said the towing point had to be at least 50mm (2 inches to you and me) in diameter (standard caterham is less than this) and painted yellow the other said it was fine as long as it had a arrow pointing to it.

At Goodwood the scrutineer also stated 50mm and added that if it was smaller there was a risk of damage caused by the wrecking crew (sorry recovery crew) as they may tie onto anthing!

Looking at most race cars they seem to have yellow 2 inch (50mm for post Sager severners) towing eyes.

In France the word 'Tow' is not really understood - a single red arrow pointing towards the ring seems to be universal and gets round any language problems.

Not that this affects me (so far) as I dont go fast enough to get towed away (although thinking about it - it maybe faster by tow truck in my case)

Nick

From Longton and District Bulletin Received today;

NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR

TOW POINTS ON CARS

Cars competing in sprints and hillclimbs this year must have clearly identified towing points fitted front and

rear. A point on the roll hoop can be used for single seaters. This new requirement is set out in the ‘North &

Midlands Classes & Clarifications’, so will be in virtually all organisers’ regulations – including the final

instructions for LDMC events - for 2011. It is expected to be adopted for the Blue Book in 2013.

It is likely that the wording you will see in regulations will be:

(All classes) The vehicle must have a clearly identifiable towing point of adequate strength and size at both

front and rear. A suitable point on the roll hoop will generally suffice for open single seat racing cars.

Those of you who have read the Chester and Liverpool regs will see this is a simplified version of the original

wording (4.9), which stated:

(All classes) Towing eyes of adequate strength and size must be fitted to the front and rear of the vehicle. They

must be painted a distinctive and contrasting colour. Cars of periods A to F and single seater racing cars are

exempt from this requirement subject to a suitable towing point being clearly identified.

Liverpool Motor Club view is: ‘Following consultation with competitors and the MSA, it has been

recommended that we slightly relax the rule. This seems to be a sensible change that still requires the

competitor to mark a suitable point on the car to attach a tow rope. An advantage of the changed wording is

that it will permit cars to be fitted with a rope loop or strap instead of a towing eye thus saving expense,

though remember that whatever method is used, it must be fit for purpose. ‘

Note from Bulletin editor: Under the reg as proposed, the position of open sports cars, such as Westfields and

Clubmans cars, etc. may raise questions. Usually they are towed, like single seaters, by the roll hoop. Chris

Mansley, chief scrutineer for LDMC, wants common sense to be applied and has made some helpful

comments about tow points:

- Open sports car where the roll cage has normally been used for towing should indicate the point the driver

wants to be used by marking the roll hoop with two yellow bands, 40cm apart.

-Towing eyes, straps, should be big enough for the recovery vehicle’s (possibly large) tow hook to go through.

Just recieved from Liverpool Motor Club for the Aintree Sprint

Please note, since the publication of the Regulations there has been an amendment to page 2 of the Supplementary Regulations regarding towing eyes.

“The North & Midlands Classes & Clarifications (and therefore virtually all organisers’ regs for 2011) have a rule about towing eyes.

Your entry has recently been accepted for a Sprint at Aintree and as we use The North & Midlands Classes & Clarifications, we need to advise the following:-

Following consultation with competitors and the MSA, it has been recommended that we slightly relax the rule as follows;

(All classes) Towing eyes of adequate strength and size must be fitted to the front and rear of the vehicle. They must be painted a distinctive and contrasting colour. Cars of periods A to F and single seater racing cars are exempt from this requirement subject to a suitable towing point being clearly identified.

To

(All classes) The vehicle must have a clearly identifiable towing point of adequate strength and size at both front & rear. A suitable point on the roll hoop will generally suffice for open single seat racing cars.

It is likely that this wording, or something very similar, will be incorporated in the Blue Book effective from the 01/01/2013.

This seems to be a sensible change that still requires the competitor to mark a suitable point on the car to attach a tow rope, in advance, and not to start thinking about it when the recovery crew are on their hands & knees in the grass at the side of the track looking for something solid to attach their rope to! An advantage of the changed wording is that it will permit cars to be fitted with a rope loop or strap instead of a towing eye thus saving expense, though remember that whatever method is used, it must be fit for purpose.