Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

live axle vx upgrade?

madmaninshed

Hi, I have an 1800 VX supersprint live axle car, and am really chuffed with the handling - didn't expect to be after always having de-dion cars before, but it feels incredibly nimble, and has wide track front suspension. The engine is a standard 120+ BHP 8 valve VX with twin webbers. It revs well, but the throttle response is a bit slow, and being a steel block is possibly a bit heavy. Would it be fairly easy to convert to a 1600 supersport K series engine, or is there perhaps a better upgrade path please? i realize that a new bell housing will be needed, plus a different bonnet. It struck me that with the lighter rear (albeit with more unsprung weight), with a K series engine, and if funds allow, a 6 speed box, it should weigh in at well under 500 kilos (525 at present). Any advice much appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

Paul,

You could fit a Zetec, its about 10kg lighter than a VX and in stock form will give you 160bhp and buckets of torque.

Rememebr that boosting you power/torque output will put a new strain on the venerable Ital axle, or do you have a Ford unit?

Or if weight is want you want to lose, go BEC.

Alternatively, if it is so much fun and as the weather is getting better, just drive the thing and enjoy it.

Phil