Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ford 9-speed gearbox - double de-clutch?

Miff

I have to double de-clutch to change down into first and second in my ford 5-speed box - does anyone else have this problem?

Is there anything i can do about it? (apart from change to a six-speed which is too muchos moolah at present, possibly ever). My old seven had the 'same' box and didn't have this problem. Are the changes better with different gear box oils- currently full of generic EP80/90. Should i change to another as some people seem to say in recent posts? (and how do i drain the old oil out?) *confused*

b***er, just seen the title of the post, think i meant ford 5-speed type 9, anyway it does only have five gears that i have found so far (plus reverse). Nine gears may be interesting though.

Edited by - miff on 18 Sep 2002 17:04:02

Oil can make a big difference. I am using Comma oil and it is not as nice a change as I had with the Castrol Halfords stuff before the winters tinkering.

As for getting it out - either take the engine out and stand it on its end in a bowl or remove the top plate in situ and use a bit of pipe to syphon it out. I think engine out is probably easier!

I am looking to have my box rebuilt by Brian Hill this winter for about £400, with longer 1st and 2nd gears. He said he modify's the syncro to give better shifts as well... his number is 01580 714114, see what he says.

Phil Waters

General Dog's Body

Whippet Racing 😬

My type 9 is bloomin' marvellous. Did a track day on Monday at Snett. I can't fault it. With the gunge it came with it was 'orrible. I now run Castrol TAF-X. Not cheap at around £5.00 for a half litre but highly recommended.

AMMO

I seem to remember - someone will correct me - that a fully synth in a standard T9 is too slippery and makes the change worse.

With precision cut and ground gears like SC and Semi-Helical a fully synth oil would be a good idea to extend the life - plus I suspect that BGH and SPC take a fair amount more time building a nice 'box than Ford.

Phil Waters

General Dog's Body

Whippet Racing 😬

Miff, the Haynes how to take your Ford type 9 box of cogs apart and get 'em all back in again, book says to use Ford fully synthetic gear oil, but I believe this is now extinct, I use Castrol Syntrax 75w/90 in my B.G.H. 'box and the change action is really very slick, no problem with synchros, 'though the double de clutch for better effect of the right boot when changing down to overtake is still used. As for the selection of 1st or 2nd gear, is the clutch adjustment O.K., just a thought, have fun, Nigel.

I'd also suggest checking the clutch setting - I had this prob on a type 9 recently which was relieved by adjusting the clutch slighty (using the two nuts on the outside of the pedal box)- the shift is now much better. I had the clutch pedal quite low (worked fine for ages) because I am lanky - not quite as much room now but the change is better *thumbup*