Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driver training day - Curborough

Mike Guest

Yes Mike a couple of guys have had to drop out so space for 2 more cars.

Give me a call if you know anyone who wants to do the day. We can sort out shared drives also. Plenty of instruction on the day with particular attention on how to make the best of your 7 and not necessarily just practice at Curbrough.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think we had an excellent day.

Its difficult to comment on what the participents thought - I'll leave that up to them - I hope they will give their feed back here as its always interesting to see what others think after they have had time to think about it.

From my point of view and I think Adrian's also (I'm sure he will contribute later) EVERYONE improved by huge amounts yesterday. It was not about time it was about the attitude of the car when viewed from the outside. It won't be about going quicker the next time they visit Curborough - I'm pretty certain some will though - It will be how they apply what they have learnt.

I think the guys with more experience will probably go slower until they stop having to think about what they learnt.

What did I learn from the day - consistency is the key when trying to improve.

Oh and do not stand in the way when trying to teach braking points/distances 😬 (We didn't of course but having seen what we saw Never EVER think about it) *eek*

I look forward to seeing the comments and I hope everyone thought it was value for money.

Well I for one had a great day.

As Simon says - consistency was the keynote and after a fairly erratic start I think I improved tremendously by the end of the day. Last year (my first visit to Curborough) it all felt a bit of a blur with little time to think - this time with the corner by corner approach and the lines sorted I had time to think.

Having said that it wasn’t just about Curborough and I hope I can apply what I learnt to other circuits as well.

As for value - worth every penny + met a great group of people.

Thanks to Simon and Adrian *wavey*

PS I have some pics if any one is interested I will e-mail them.

I too had a great day, and as one of the most inconsistent ones *mad* how much I have learnt will show in future events.

However, I have learnt an approach to driving that hopefully will pay dividends on the clock, all I have to do is to keep the idea in mind, and not try too hard!!!!

Value for money? BIG DEFINITE YES *thumbup*

Method? SUPERB

Would do it all again at the same place until Iget it RIGHT

Agreed! Great day and a great bunch of people. Thanks to all but especially Simon and Adrian. I learnt a lot, mainly trying too hard and turning in too early. I think the approach of repeating the same corner rather than trying to do full laps from the start was spot on. Certainly value for money, probably had more useful practice in that one day than in a host of trackdays. Simon and Adrian were great, full of enthusiasm, encouragement and willing to share their experience. Even the sun shone!

Steve

Had a good day, learnt alot and got great tips for not just driving Curborough but for being on track.

Rehearsing the corners individually was really good, it prevented getting carried away and focused the brain!

I would definitely do this again, big thank you to Simon and Adrian

Steve

Firstly, a big thank you to Simon and Adrian. *thumbup*

I think the format of the day was spot on. The opportunity to practice on a corner by corner basis, getting the line right and being able to watch others drive the same corner, followed by demonstration by Simon of "how to and how not to" do it correctly was invaluable in improving our own driving.

By the time we came to put full laps together later in the afternoon, all of us had greatly improved.

Was it better than doing a track or test day? Yes

Did it improve my car control and track positioning? Yes

WIll it improve my sprint times? I think so

Would I do it again? Definately, yes.

Stuart

P.S. Glad we all provided Simon and Adrian with some amusement when practising our braking points *eek*

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and also found the whole thing rather rewarding.

Thank you one and all for being so open to our comments, it made Simon and my jobs so much easier and we were free to impart as much 'wisdom' as we could.

Like Stuart I felt that when half of you were watching the other half 'perform' while listening to our comments was probably the most productive time.

As for the brake test *confused* On Stuarts first run I turned to Simon and said 'he won't make it' and that was before he even started braking *eek*

I have a note of previous best times at Curborough for all those that were there and have competed. I'll be watching with interest in May to see how you all get on.

Let's do it again sometime.

Adrian