Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weight of and R500 wiring loom?

stevefoster

I am wonder what sort of wire is used for the wiring loom in the pinacle of Caterham lightness, the R500?

I am currently building a 3 stage push pull valve amp and am using 1mm PTFE covered wire good for 8 amps. This weighs a fraction of other 8amp wire and at 1mm or even little thicker for higher amp capacities it would make the loom much thinner and lighter.

It is also very melt resistant.

Just a thought...

Perhaps there is a good reason for not using it? Cost etc.

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Steve

Every little helps but this is not going to save a lot of weight if you only use, wire in the minimum needed to make the car work and a Stack dash that has its own loom and say a MBE loom for the engine.

And the cost of the saving of ?kg's

When I was at Fibre form the other day I got talking to a man from Stuart Taylor Motorsport and he recons on £100per kg weight saving. So bottom less pockets and very long arms to reach to the bottom.

Paul.

See My Car Here

A comparison of weight saving features on a £ per kg would be really interesting *eek*. PTFE is one of the most expensive insulators available, as well as being environmentally suspect, so you are unlikely to find it in a showroom near you. I guess the reason it is so light is because you can safely run it really hot, above 200 degrees for example, which is fine for valve amps, but not so good more most applications.

By the way, which part of your amp carries 8 amps (other than the transformer secondaries).

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

8 amps... It doesn't but 1mm is the thinest

you can reasonably work with.

This wire is used as it is easy to twist a pair for the AC carrying bits and looks neat and sounds good.

The guru tube master I am building with has tried all sorts of wire and finds this the best sounding... Not a requirement on your 7.

If you are really interested his page is here...

http://www.btinternet.com/~tubenutdave/Sonofheffa.html

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here