naddy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Caterham are apparently out of stock ☹️ Dry Sump

and have been for some time if the web site is believed.

Nick, I am also in the search for a dry sump installation. I have the bell tank and may look at the pace system for the rest of the installation.

Dominic

RJ

Yep I'm aware CC do parts. Thanks. I also was of the belief that it was just odd bit(s) missing. I thought they had told me that earlier this year when I spoke to them. Maybe I spoke to somebody else, or my memory is letting me down!

Either way, I was not in a rush hence the rather lengthy wait on here. Sooner or later I'll need to get on with it though...

Dom

What is your feeling on Pace vs CC? is it just availability? And if you go for the Pace would you marry that with the CC belltank? I thought it could only take one input from a scavenge pump, doesn't the pace have 2?

Nick

Nick, Stu reliably informs me you can connect the Pace dry sump with the Caterham bell housing *thumbup*

I prefer the caterham bell housing / tank rather than having the seperate easy clean tank with a reduced footwell or a kideny tank in front of the engine. I accept that the Caterham tank arrangement is probably not ideal from a capacity perspective - Stu has bent my ear on this issue!

I also beleive the pace system performs better so I am leaning towards the Pace system with the Caterham bell housing and yes, availability is a consideration. I would like to get the upgrade complete over winter.

Do you fancy organising a bulk buy *tongue*

Dominic

• Leadership Team

Stu reliably informs me you can connect the Pace dry sump with the Caterham bell housing
Hey mate don't blame me! As mentioned, for scavenge the Pace pump is a 2 stage setup offering a higher capacity of scavenge than the single stage Caterham (Titon) gold pump. The worst case scenario is that one stage is scavenging only oil, the other is scavenging only air. I believe the connection to the tank needs to allow for this which in the case of a standard vertical tank would be 2 inlets - for the belltank tower there is only one and it would need to be adapted to take the 2 inlet hoses, probably by method of creating a sort Siamese connection bringing them together but ideally keeping the oil separate. Not rocket science, but the goal is to prevent the scavenged oil filling the other empty hose rather than the tank!

However ..... I am definitely of the belief that the Caterham setup is seriously compromised on a higher power K - I believe mainly related to the fairly low capacity of the belltank, but not helped by the pump not really being big enough and with only one scavenge outlet to the rear of the pan. On track at sustained high revs the scavenge pump cannot keep up, and if the pressure pump is doing it's job correctly (which if "flowed" it is probably better than correct!) the belltank level will drop ........ dangerously low. My SLR suffered terminal oil starvation at Oulton last year - I know of 2 more that I understand have suffered similarly since. Fine on the road but not on track. I think an improved setup would be to either run the Caterham system with a bigger tank (probably the change I'll make) or run the Pace sump pan & pump with the belltank.

Stu.

I prefer the caterham bell housing / tank rather than having the seperate easy clean tank with a reduced footwell or a kideny tank in front of the engine. I accept that the Caterham tank arrangement is probably not ideal from a capacity perspective - Stu has bent my ear on this issue!

Thats been my conclusion exactly having read a lot in the archive and canvassed a few opinions. Including Stu ISTR!

Stu, cheers also *thumbup*

RJ thanks for the offer and for your reply to my blatmail *thumbup* But I shouldnt need to borrow it.

Dom, got your mail will reply soon *thumbup*