Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rough starting, puff of white smoke

MartinS

Hi,

My 1.8k has recently been running rough on startup, with a short but noticeable puff of white smoke right when the engine catches. I've also noticed the engine is consuming oil. I'm guessing oil is getting into the combustion chambers? Any thoughts?

M.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Going back to this a second, I'm wondering about if I'm overfilling the engine again. The dip stick I currently have was from my 1400 k-series, but that engine was upgraded by DVA to an 1800. Is it possible that the notch on my old dip stick is too high for an 1800, or is everything at the same level down that end of the engine?

M.

BLACK smoke: overfueling, BLUE smoke: burning oil, WHITE smoke: moisture in the cylinders. Your described symptoms are not related to oil level. Perhaps the 'using oil' you've noticed is just because you're not checking it while hot and running?

The smell of the white puff will help too: if it's sweet, it's coolant, if it's not, it's not! The blue smoke will smell distinctively of burning oil too.

Edited by - charlie_pank on 21 Jun 2012 09:24:46

I may be wrong *eek* but I think that white smoke on start-up indicates the presence of oil, at low temperature. See any video of radial aero engines being started, accompanied by swirling clouds of white smoke. Blue smoke only occurs if the oil is hot enough to burn, unlikely in a cold engine. Display aircraft, e.g. Red Arrows, inject diesel fuel into the exhaust to produce white smoke. It sounds as though you have oil in the cylinders - broken piston ring 🤔

To me it smells like oil, but I'm very curious about the idea I could be overfilling it now. I didn't realise there was so much variance in dip sticks! The engine is consuming oil, so I'm going to closely monitor it and see how low it goes rather than constantly top it up to the notch. I think the consumption slow the lower it goes and I've never let it go that low.

Thanks again guys

M.