Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Better rear bulbs - LED??

Petrolhead

Have you got a bright LED brake light under the roll bar ? This is a must for our low cars. The STD rear lights are very poor. I tried LED bulbs in std holders and they weren't as bright as normal bulbs ! Have heard of some removing the plastic reflectors and sticking self adhesive aluminium tape behind the bulbs and polishing it highly.

Main problem is lampholders face sideways, so you can't use normal LED bulbs as used in tintops.

• Area Representative

I've got LED bulbs and I'm not sure they are that much better, but they are certainly no worse than ordinary bulbs. The first I used had only a few "heads", but I replaced them with better ones that became available. I've stuck with LEDs as they take very little power and I leave my sidelights on all the time.

A couple of tips:-

1. Make sure you buy LED bulbs suitable for the car i.e. they need to shine from the side of the bulb (not the end) because of orientation in the light fitting.

2. Use red bulbs for the brake/sidelight. Red light shines through the plastic lens much better.

3. Worth making sure the little reflectors in the lights are as clean (shiny) as possible. I did think of trying to improve with some silver foil, but not got round to it yet.

How about fitting some of these LED rear light units? They have a flat back but SVC also do a version with a sloping housing in ‘Carbon Effect’. I feel the fake carbon mount looks a little tacky though.

If one of the carbon producers could be persuaded to manufacture a quality mounting for these lights, that could be really interesting!

Quoting elie boone: 
You can improuve the reflector of the rear lights, now it's just grey paint but if you put sticky ali tape on it and also polish this the rear lights will be brighter.
My reflectors were quite shiny and I have cleaned the lenes

Quoting James7: 
How about fitting some of these LED rear light units? They have a flat back but SVC also do a version with a sloping housing in ‘Carbon Effect’. I feel the fake carbon mount looks a little tacky though.

If one of the carbon producers could be persuaded to manufacture a quality mounting for these lights, that could be really interesting!

Yeh, I have seen then and its the fake carbon that puts me off especially as the arches are real carbon.

These were also an option but again the fake carbon puts me off

Edited by - Petrolhead on 10 Mar 2011 21:47:27

Quoting Eugene: 
Vey very bright.

I don' suppose there is a chance of a pic showing brighness please? (not that I doubt what you say)

I realise fake carbon isn't everyones thing, but I'm sure that being seen is am sure that that's it's one upgrade that the Mrs would pay for in a heartbeat, even if the fake carbon is a bit *rolleyes*

Quite suprised that CC hasn't got in on the act with some LED blocks (other than the "clear" ones) its one of the areas that does let the 7 down in it's "default" guise.

Mike

Quoting michaeljclark: 
Quite suprised that CC hasn't got in on the act with some LED blocks (other than the "clear" ones) its one of the areas that does let the 7 down in it's "default" guise.
I have asked CC midland this question several time and I get the same reply, somit to do with E marking *confused*

So I assume the SVC ones you use are the LED ones

Quoting Petrolhead: 
Quoting michaeljclark: 
I have asked CC midland this question several time and I get the same reply, somit to do with E marking *confused*

So I assume the SVC ones you use are the LED ones

The SVC website says that their LED rear light clusters are E marked though.