Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cycle wings - alternative sources?

Griff

Thanks for those. Not really looking for CF - though they look so much nicer they're a bit too good for track days. Nice to see RF's company is in good hands though. Will give the guys in Dartford a go. I also found this outfit who look interesting (seem to be boat builders).

Dignity

yellow gel coat. They are the recent ones which are made by Tillett for Caterham and have the smooth inside surface and a small ridge to perfectly position the front stay. The quality is outstanding. I have neatly glued on the rubber edging and I doubt it will come off. Theres also repeaters fitted and will come with both yellow and clear lenses. Not sure when Caterham are getting the Carbon ones in and I can't let them go until then.

jason

I put the link up for the yellow wings in error but actually I'm after black so thank's for the offer Jason - seems you have a willing buyer in Dignity though.

I've stuck my neck out and placed and order with Vicfibretech on eBay for their black wings. Will post an update on quality and fit when they arrive.

Cheers,

Mike

Wings arrived when I was away so promot delivery and well packed. On first inspection I can't fault them. The gloss surface is mirror-like but they differ from Caterham's offering by having a white finish inside wing (which you can't really see ewhen its on the car). A trial fit showed no problems and standing back it's very hard to tell the difference between the Caterham offering and this alternative.

I haven't put them on the scales yet but the Caterham wing feels slightly thinner and I would say the alternative is heavier but we're only talking a tiny bit, so no sugar on your cornflakes before a track day and you would never realise!! Being a tiny bit thicker, these alternatives may be less prone to starring but that awaits to be proven.

Here is the link again to save hunting below. The company is Vicfibretech in Barnstaple, Devon.

Now off to find some glue...

YC Plastics in South Wales make some very good plastic ones that are the front wing of choice for many of the Grads race series competitors. Largely as they're about half the price of the CC ones, look great and don't star-graze.

They also do a nice carbon-fibre effect plastic for people who want the look of carbon but not the price 😬 info@ycplastics.co.uk