Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is the format of an engine important?

Andy Clayson

Hmm. Well according to the article Mr. C points to above an inline 6 is inherently balanced vertically and end to end, so theoretically length (so to speak!) shouldn'y make a difference.

The only long 6 cyl engines I can thing of are huge and hence speed limited on crank throw.

Unless of course anyone else knows different.

I understood a key reason for the increase in Vees over straight 6s is rather more depressing. In our modern society crashing seems to be the most important design criteria. The relative shortness of a v engine gives body engineers a lot more chance of creating the necessary crumple zones to absorb impact. This means that complete with 14 air bags, pre-tensioned seat belts and brake assist, a completely useless driver can endanger pedestrians, (motor)cyclists and caterham drivers without fear of getting hurt.

Oh dear I can feel a rant coming on…

Well according to the article Mr. C points to above an inline 6 is inherently balanced vertically and end to end, so theoretically length (so to speak!) shouldn'y make a difference.

I think the flywheel and power take off being at one end makes a difference.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Ranson on 17 Sep 2002 21:24:58

The theoretical view is that the crankshaft is rigid. It is far from rigid. For the power pulse from cylinder 1 to reach the flywheel, it has to be transmitted down the length of the crankshaft. In this regard, the crankshaft acts as a large torsion spring. The frequencies and modes of vibration of the crankshaft will have a frequency characteristic and a longer crankshaft will probably have lolwer frequency resonant vibration - this is torsional vibration in the crankshaft rather than out of balance vibration of the whole engine.

I use a 60 degree motor in my 7. This gives you a firing order of 123456 and is extremly smooth (see Peter C's excellent post earlier on this thread)

The 90 degree V6 is really just a V8 with the front 2 cylinders lopped off, in any state of tune can be very "Lumpy"

V6 *eek*60 degreeV6 *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Forget Cukes! Ban Cheeze 😬

What a lot of debate . A long stroke limits an engine's maximum rpm, as mentioned in various postings. A long crankshaft also limits maximum rpm because it twists more easily when number 1 cylinder (at the opposite end from the flywheel) fires. When the firing pulses match the torsional resonance of the crankshaft, trouble ensues. This is why straight sixes and V8s are fitted with vibration dampers at the pulley. You can make your crank rev higher by making it stiffer, either by reducing stroke or by increasing the journal diameters. The obvious drawbacks are reduced capacity and increased weight ☹️

V6 engines have been produced in a number of V angles from 120 degrees (Ferrari dino 1.5 litre F1 engine of the 1960s), 90 degree cut down V8 (Rover metro 6R4), 90 degree even firing (Peugeut/Renault/Volvo 3 litre),65 degrees (Ferrari dino 2.4 litre road engine), 60 degrees (too many to list, popular with Ford, Alfa worth mentioning), and sub 60 degree stuff. These engines cover a huge range of performance and smoothness, depending mostly on the skill of the designers

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

The BMW straight 6 M20(?) engine in my good friend's ALD Group C Le Mans car (just sold unfortunately) made 450 bhp from 3.5litres on the Dyno. It had the biggest crankshaft damper I have ever seen.... Rev limit was a very scary 8300rpm. I hate to think what was happening to that crank at those engine speeds. It did sound wonderful on an open pipe though...

Chris

I was wondering the other day why Renault didn't extend their 'wide V' format to its logical conclusion and use a boxer engine. Apart from any regulatory reasons, it occurred to me that if you use a boxer engine, and the cylinder heads have the induction on the top (as you'd assume they would) they exhausts would be underneath the engine. Assuming that the exhausts are above the floorpan, this means that the crankshaft is higher than in a V has the exhaust has to go underneath the engine rather than alongside it as in a V, even a wide one. Since a considerable part of the weight of the engine is in the crankshaft, bearings and block, it seems to me that a boxer engine wouldn't necessarily have a lower CoG than a wide angle V.

Anyone care to model it? *smile*

Dan

I think everything from an automotive engine has been said. From my prospective of engine development I think that the space an engine produces now within the vehicle is begining to dominate. modern NVH techneques and electronic management can deal with a not of the inherent problems of designs that are not inherently balanced. Lots of design effort is now spent on working out just how the driving belt route can be optimised to drive all these wiggets attached.

In bigger engines we have series built up by adding cylinders in the straights, typically 5, 7 and 9 cylinder units and pairs 12, 14 and 16 in the Vees. The V 16s can cause some wonderful and weird vibration problems because of the flexibity of the crank shafts which cause resonances when coupled with certain devices - these are problems of such complexity - like 4 and half order vibration - that they are very difficult to predict and give rise to shafts failing because of torsional resonances giving torques over 10 times rated.

A new phenomena is now evedent with electronic controlled engines in that some of the systems are so fast that they are seeing and inappropriately reacting to transient vibration and distortions. These are an asolute bugger to sort out as we have the electronic guru blaming the mechanical and vice versa - Oh happy new world

Ultimate traction is maybe a little harder to get from the small contact patch of a bikes's back tyre than the big things on the back of cars.

Maybe this is why the V (or firing) angle on bikes has been the subject of so much debate...

Harleys have been brilliant at flatrack racing (like faster speedway) for years as the 45 degree V angle produces lumpy, grippy, power pulses to the back wheel, as opposed to the smooth seamless delivery of a straight 4 which would help perpetuate any loss of rear wheel traction.

V engines of 90 degrees or less also dominate Moto GP, WSB and BSB.

The "big bang" 500cc V4 strokers even fired the cylinders as close togather within the 360 deg as poss, to replicate this lumpy delivery. While plenty of gearboxes broke, the race times dropped.

For the non-bikers... the difference between the "feel" you get from the back tyre of a single/twin/vee and a straight four is huge. It seems that the throttle can always be opened that bit earlier and that any movement of the tyre is less terminal.

Maybe it's less noticable on cars tho?

Mark

The VW VR6 engine is a narrow V config, much like a straight 6 with the cylinders 'squeezed' together - Imagine a row of 6 pennies, to shorten the overall length offset the pennies from the center line a little bit. If you have two seperate rows of 3 pennies you have the normal V6 config. The block casting is thus more like a normal straight engine than a V engine. I believe this makes casting and machining costs cheaper. With two of these 'bolted' together on a common crank you get 12 cylinders and 2 blocks like a normal V engine. And hence a W 12 (but I suspect it's not quite as simple as it sounds....).

Piers

Edited by - PACR on 22 Sep 2002 19:45:03