Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailoring with a Golf?

Alan Bowler

Down to the maximum permissible tow ratings for the golf concerned i would think.

Maximum Towing Weights Normally listed in the Owners Manual.

dependent on the trailer the towing weight of Trailer + 7 = approx 800kg ish (mines higher as it's a heavy trailer)

The FSI engine while not quite as good as a diesel for towing should be able to cope and so there should be no problems there. As others have said its the towing weight that might be an issue.

We used to tow my seven with an XR3 without difficulty and that was lighter than a Golf

Edited by - Graham Perry on 4 Mar 2011 10:53:26

I towed for a number of years in a 1.6 petrol Alfa 147, which must be comparable with the golf in terms of tow ratings and power

It towed fine but struggled up any sort of hill as you might expect from such little power. Even took it all the way to the south of France one year on Le-Spet, that was a long journey, especially up the cralwer lanes in the massive central...

Amazingly it never broke down whilst trailering either *eek* but fuel consumption wasn't great, in fact i get better consumption now with a 2.5 petrol 4wd subaru

rob

.... In the same week that Volkswagen claimed the Green Award at the International Engine of the Year 2009 awards, the company’s best-selling car, the Golf has been given another ‘green’ accolade – this time at the Towcar Awards, judged by experts from What Car?, Practical Caravan and The Camping and Caravanning Club.

As well as the Green Award, the Golf 2.0-litre TDI 140 SE 5dr also won the ‘under 1425 kg kerbweight’ category. Overall, the judges praised the Golf for its towing abilities, on road practicalities as well as being good value, yielding low CO2 and maintaining high residual values.

G *wavey*

My old 1.6l petrol Focus was OK - struggled a bit (well, quite a lot actually 😳) on the hills but fine once you got going *smile*

Mind you, the Mondeo is a 2.0l petrol and as Adrian will attest, it ain't the fastest tow car in the paddock either 😳