Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series running poorly

Dignity

Hi All,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. It's a 1.8k with jenveys and emerald ecu. I took her out on Sunday and I noticed right off that she was ticking over poorly. It started miss firing and got progressively worse as the engine warmed up. I have just been out again and same thing. When it gets hot its almost undriveable in traffic but is okay when I give it some beans. Lots of black soot on plugs and coming out of exhaust. I have only done 60 miles and have nearly used a tank full of petrol. I have checked the numpty things like plugs and dizzy (eu2). Took the air box off and no luck?

I know its not a lot to go on but if anyone can give me the answer I am offering a 1 pint reward *wink*

Regards

Dignity

It could be a number of things. It's got an emerald, it's clearly overfuelling, why is anyone's guess at present. Could be a dud sensor, bad connection, or internal Emerald related fault. Usually these things are a dud sensor or similar, you say you have done the numpty things, have you made and unmade all the sensor connections?

Hi Paul/John,

What is it? what do I look for? and how much does one cost 😬?

regards

Dignity

Edited to say I just googled it. Is it the one on top of the fuel rail? How do I tell if it's cream crackered? My one doesnt have a pipe connected is that normal?

Don't forget chaps there is a pint riding on this 😬

Edited by - Dignity on 2 Mar 2011 18:34:11

Hi All,

Well I just pugged ecu into laptop and I am not really sure what I am looking at so I went to the live adjustments screen. Lots of numbers and acronyms that I did not understand but the two that stayed at zero were the MAP sensor (0.00bar) and the IAC position. The lambda was reading 15.6 with a target of 12.5. I didnt run It up to full temperature.

Anyone help??????????????

Regards

Dignumpty

I am not familiar with Emerald but I would check to see what throttle site you are at tickover and that as you depress the accelerator it should increase to 15 (well that is the value for an MBE). I would also check that the temperature sensor increases as the engine warms up, if not the ECU will be providing fuel for a cold engine so it will be running rich.

The lambda was reading 15.6 with a target of 12.5

Higher than 14.7=lean, lower than 14.7=rich.

If the closed loop operation is enabled, a live reading of 15.6 with a target of 12.5 would mean that the ECU adds the maximum additional fuel to try and achieve 12.5.

Is closed loop enabled? How to enable and disable depends on the type of Emerald controller.