Click here if you are having website access problems ×

You Little Tiny B*stard!

Richiemouse

The little dowl that is, that should have been holding the cam pully in place on my 1.8vvc engine. As I reported a couple of weeks ago I'd only had the car back for 24 hours following repair at Caterham Dartford, when it all whet horribly wrong!

Simon at caterham had tried to explain over the phone what had gone happened but having never seen the inside of the engine (I've only had it in my posession for 7 days sin the end of June godamnit!), I asked him to keep the broken bits for me. It appears that the inlet pully is held in place by a little dowl and this had somehow worked it's merry way loose and caused the pully to slip. The result was a bit of piston/valve interface ☹️ I still can't quite picture this though and suspect that the dowl must be held in place by something else and it was that something that had come loose...when I've got time I'll do some dismantling and have a look.

The vvc gear is quite interesting though and I spent a happy hour in the shed this evening putting all the bits back together to see how it works...almost the most fun the car has given me so far *confused* I'm trying to think of interesting ways to display the pile of chewed and bent metal on my desk at work *smile*

So the little f*cker has cost me another 1557 quid to add to the crash repair excess I had to cough up last time! So you K series owners, be warned! If you dimantle your top end make sure you check that dowl pin when you reassemble!

Rich