Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ZZR tyres - basic info

skydragon

For those of you considering new tyres for this season, the option of Avon ZZR tyres may be worth considering. I haven't used them yet in anger, but after buying a couple of sets recently I thought the following info might help other club members with little/no experience of this tyre, who are looking for info.

The ZZRs are available in two diferent compounds, A24 (softer of the two) and A60 (medium), both marked with a 5 digit code number. The tyres are E and DOT marked and are legal for road usage, although common sense and the warning on the tyre sidewall would suggest caution in standing water.

In 13" there are two sizes available 215/55/r13 and 185/55/r13. I think these are the only sizes available in r13, so those wanting a wider tyre may have to look elsewhere.

The A24 (soft) are marked 13982 (fronts) and 13983 (rear)

The A60 (Medium) are marked 13854 (fronts) and 13855 (rear)

BMTR (website here) sell the ZZR in A24 and A60 compound. CC only sell A60 compound (BMTR have no stock of A24 currently, but hope to have in March/April).

I orignally bought a set of A24 compound ZZR's, as these seemed to be the obvious choice for Hillclimb/sprint (being the softest compound r13 ZZR) and I presumed the A60 compound would be fairly hard, for track/road use and probably too hard for Hillclimb usage. However...after now buying a set of A60 I can report that these also seem to be a 'soft' compound.

As a rough indicator...a very unscientific fingernail test of A60 ZZR versus a soft compound Khumo V70 shows that the A60 is a softer rubber compound than that of a Khumo V70 'soft' (note soft, not supersoft). That obviously does not necessarily mean it has more/less grip or is better/worse, but is probably a rough indicator that is is at least as grippy (?? tbc).

What does this mean..? I'm guessing that A60 ZZR is possibly still a very good choice for Hillclimb/sprint compared the variety of 'other' tyres used in L7C championships. Is A24 even better? I don't know...probably.

As further info see this table here which shows the different avon compounds. I guess the gap between A60 and A24 isn't as big as i first presumed (??).

The tyres I've used are 215/55/r13 on a 8 inch CXR or 8.5 inch MB rims for rears and a 185/55/r13 on a 7 inch CXR or a 6.5 inch MB rim on fronts.

The Avon quoted rim limits are 5.5 - 7.0 inch for 185's and 7.0 - 8.5 for 215's

Compared to 215 Khumo V70's all round. These tyres reduce the ride height at the front by approx 10mm and raise the ride height at rear by approx 10mm...which means I had to adjust my suspension platforms and corner weigh the car again to get the car ride heights all ok again (I had to anyway as I also fitted widetrack front suspension at the same time).

Rear wing wise no problems. Front wing wise, the 185 fronts are obviously narrower than the Kumho 215's...meaning new cycle wings in my case.

HTH

just waiting for the a24 compound now
Noooo, don't bother *nono*

Phone up Avon and ask for set of AR5E compound ZZR tyres. Rock hard, extremely long lasting (should get at least 4 seasons out of them) and although extremely heavy, the specially formulated solid core rubber construction ensures a consistant level of grip in all conditions... 😬 😬

Having spoken to a rather rapid 7 driver who race's his car, I wouldn't get too carried away with them just yet.

He found them to be well over a second slower than the Kumho's around Cadwell & prone to going off pretty quickly too *rolleyes*

• 1 month later...

I used A24 ZZRs for the first time at a Curborough practice yesterday.

Only feedback I can give at this stage is they are rubbish, have little grip and are very unpredictable and therefore I recommend all L7C championship runners to not even think of using them, especially the girls. *nono* definately not the girls *nono*

Naff tyre, complete waste of time *rolleyes* 😬 😬

You mean you managed to get around at least one lap rather than 100yds on them rather than the Kumho's.

I bet £ per yard they must be worth their weight in Gold eh?

Bring them on - my money is still on the Kumho *cool*

If not I'll have to have a look at the regs again 😬

Weighing in at 3Kg more than last season

Missing Custard in my diet and replacing it with double cream?

Graham *wavey*

PS - to get back to the thread, I thought the performance of ZZRs at Curbs looked very impressive - well done Chris *thumbup*