Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Raceline tuning kits

JohnCh

This winter I am swapping out my crossflow for a Zetec modified with Raceline's components, but I am not sure if I should go with their 200 or 220 hp tuning kit. On paper, I like the idea of the latter's 10% power increase, but it will bump up the budget by 20% (I know, I know: Speed costs money -- how fast do you want to go?) and according to the dyno charts it has a big dip in the torque curve around 4000 rpm. The 200 hp torque curve by comparison is nice and smooth. Does anyone have experience with both kits? If so, is the higher power version worth it for a road car that only sees a few track days per year?

Thanks,

John

My 1800 Zetec with around 180 bhp has no dips on the dyno sheet and is very nice to drive. It could do with a little bit more go so I've decided to try a dippy cam. This will give it more top end. As the car is quite light it may be that you will not notice the dip or just drive through it when accelerating hard. In other words it's not as the dip will make the car stop. All you will feel is the car coming on cam hard as you drive it out of the dip.

I would think that 200 bhp in a Caterham is more than enough for most people. If you are going to 2 litres from a Crossflow this will take a bit of getting used to. The money you save could pay for a track day and some tuition so you can learn how to drive the thing (that's if your not an ex touring car champion or something). You can always upgrade later although this is not the cheapest way to do it. If I were you I would go for the 200 bhp kit unless you really feel you need the extra horsepower.

That wasn't very helpful at all was it? Seems like it's still your decision but you are now armed with a little more information than before. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll be happy with the Zetec.

AMMO

Sorry don't know about there injection kit's but don't discount there carb versions. I have the 190 kit (but with the large valve head). On twin 45's and 3D ignition it drives very smooth, and you get a lovely roar from the Carbs 😬 😬 A great spread of power (enough to out drag SLR's) and if you reuse the carbs from the Crosflow could be much cheaper *thumbup*

It looks to me as though the 220 in its torque dip is still producing more than the 200 at the same rpm. Since you won't be at those rpm when driving hard it won't be a problem. If you can afford it go with the 220, otherwise you will be upgrading later at greater cost. FWIW I doubt you'll feel that dip when driving, you will feel the sustained high end.

Paul

Thanks Ammo, you actually did help *smile* Your points on learning how to drive the car are well taken. In fact three of my friends who have offered to help me do the swap are all instructors with the major car clubs in the area and each has promised to teach me how to drive the beast next season. Hopefully I will get in 7-10 track days at Pacific Raceways and Bremerton next year, and I will try to make myself a regular visitor to the local indoor kart track this Winter.

I agree with you that 200 hp in a Caterham is enough for most people, but my car is actually a W******** so... *wink* Seriously though, I really want this car to scare me a little bit in the acceleration department. Juvenile I know, but then again so am I. *cool* As Paul points out, the 220 hp version still produces more torque than the 200 hp version at the point in the curve where it dips, and it also produces more torque (~7 lb/ft) at 3000 rpm. If the extra power doesn't come at the expense of the low end, then I may want to go for the 220 hp kit rather than wait until upgrade-itus rears its ugly head again in another year or two.

Steve, although I am going to miss the sound of Webers, I already have an Emerald M3D sitting in my garage, so I am going to make the switch. I spent the last few years learning how to tune Webers (built up an Alfa 2.0L fitted with 45 DCOEs, see http://www.throttle-steer.com if you want to bore yourself) and now that I have finally become moderately competent at it, I am looking forward to the new challenge of learning the Emerald system.

Thanks,

John

I went the raceline route for 200HP. This includes their dry sump, Kent focus 12 cams, recommended head work (performed by Esslinger), aluminum flywheel underdrive pulley, and Jenvey throttlebodies. Where a stock zetec seems to be mostly thrashing out a lot of noise above 6000RPMs, mine hits the afterburner with peak power @ 6950 and redline around 7500. With little to compare it to, I'm mainly pleased with the outcome and it's certainly about as much power as you're likely to need. The ecu is still not correct after 2 trips to dyno; and I'm interviewing 2-3 more dyno guys to see if they really "get" how to program and fully utilize a modern programmable ecu. It would appear that not many are with the program on this technology around here. From what I've gleaned on this site if I had to do it over again I'd buy an Emerald and find a dyno guy who works closely with sports/formula/scca racers. Be wary of dyno guys who make their living on rice rocket/drag racing markets. In spite of the ecu situation my motor is very tractable and the water temp didn't move during a very hot weekend on track. After you have "done it" bring your back to so. Cal. and we can have some fun. *cool*

John

Why didn't you say you had a Westfield? That makes the decision much easier. Go for the 220 bhp kit. You need all the help you can get to try to keep up with the Caterhams 😬

Yankeedoodoo.

Sorry to hear you have had problems with your dyno guy and fuel injection setup. If you remember when we discussed this some time ago I said that the ECU is only as good as the guy who programs it. Hope you get it resolved. If you want I can talk to the guys at Pectel and see if they can recommend anyone else in your area. Where are you exactly?

Was your ali flywheel from Esslinger? I don't think I've seen this on their website. I am making my own ali front pullies at the moment.

AMMO

Why didn't you say you had a Westfield?

Because after the Phssthpok thread, I was afraid no one would respond! *eek*

That makes the decision much easier. Go for the 220 bhp kit. You need all the help you can get to try to keep up with the Caterhams

Ooh... I 'm probably better off posting my response to that on the WSCC boardroom 🙆🏻 😬

Thanks to everyone for their responses. After a lot of number crunching, I've decided to go for the 200 hp kit and use the savings to buy a Quaife differential. I figure with that much horsepower, traction will become an issue *cool*

-John

AMMO: The last dyno did not cure the richness, although it is better. The guys @ pectel had it first on dyno and also attempted to "tune it on the road". I am completely unimpressed with their "knowledge" of how to set up their own ecu. Their future in the USA is not likely to be very bright based upon my experiences (OPINION). While the actual ecu may be a good one, I certainly would not recommend it to anyone! I should have bought an Emerald! As for the flywheel, it came from a company in Ohio called "fidanza" which I found on the internet. It cost either $325. or $375, don't recall which. It weighs around 8 pounds. I'll keep you posted on the dyno search.

Yankeedoodoo

I will have a word with Pectel in the UK and pass on your comments. Your problem is resolveable. I know one of the Pectel ex-directors who is often in the States on business as his company AER supplies engines your side of the pond. He uses Pectel on his engines and may know US based race teams who have technicians who may be able to help you.

You have already given me Fidanza's name in the past. Due to the fact that I'm rapidly becoming a senile old git I had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me.

AMMO

Thanks Oily

Yankeedoodoo

There are a couple of friends of mine who know Pectel inside out. They should be at Laguna Seca this weekend. I don't know how far that is from you.

Am trying to get their mobile telephone numbers so you can at least talk to them regarding your problem. If they don't have any dramas on their hands one of them may be able to do some work on your map. If you are close enough and can go I will try to OK it with their boss to give you a hand.

Have emailed you direct also. Hope you read it in time.

AMMO