Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anyone ever made a sump guard for a 7 ??

Jason Plato

Cheers Peter ,

this is realy a continuation of my thread concerning ride height .

I woud be concerned that the energy taken by the sump guard would be transmitted throught the chassis ?.

Can you think of any suitable mounting points ( we have the same cars ??( if not engines !! - nice sounding bit of kit by the way :-) )

Dave

Brod's design protected the chin of the sump.

It mounted at points around the back of the crucifix and around beneath the engine mounts, so the forces would act directly onto the major mass of the engine itself. It was some special aerospace grade of material that he was using, but it was with the intent of haring down scottish lanes with impunity. His car was an 1800 Supersport/Executive superlight.

The real answer for the ride height is to raise the engine in the car (say 25mm) and then lower the car in its entirety (say 20mm), paying attention to the suspension geometry. i.e. Raise the engine by 5mm; lower the chassis by 20mm; CofG lower but clearance greater.

It is the dogma of not having bonnet bulges that has ruled against this. The Seven has gone from little sidevalves to very tall DOHC design engines and the engine has only been allowed to extend downwards - silly[!]

...and its all our fault.

We don't want the to look like We&&&&&&ds.

Cheers Peter ,

Im going to make a template and one of the boys in work will machine a section of Duralin (???) . I though about mounting it to the chassis rails and using rubber spacers / bobbins similar to those holding the exhaust can on , these may act as some shock absorbers .

My main contact point on the dry sump pan appears to be at the rear adjacent to the hose plug ( which took a whack and had to be ally welded previously ) .

Keep you posted .

Hows the engine bedding in ??

Dave .

Saw a simple and innovative solution to this on George Ramey's '90 deDion. He has piece of 1/4 inch thick nylon or Delrin (with holes drilled in the appropriate places) and secured with ty-wraps. He hit a "sleeping constable", knocking the sump drainplug off his twink, so this is what he came up with. Durable and not unsightly. Seems that the nylon/Delrin is a bit more "slippery" than ali.

Cheers,

Ken

I hate the way that we can drive our perfectly legal cars along a road that we pay to use (with the money that's left over from Hospitals, Schools and single mothers from Road and Petrol tax) at perfectly legal and sensible speeds and can have severe damage inflicted on them by Sleeping Policemen. Potholes are bad enough but badly designed deliberate bumps are just stupid. Occasionally the design has a cut out so you can line this up with the sump - good idea for once. However some feel like you are trying to drive up a mountain! So don't put a sump guard on your Seven because of Speed Humps - buy a cheap, very heavy car and fit a sharp, strong 'sump guard' of a plough like design and drive over speed humps until there's a nice cut out in the middle! And then use your Seven in safety. Perhaps the club can fit Beryl with one and rent her out?

Remember to sue the council if your car is damaged due to bad road surfaces - it's only when the solicitors letters mount up that they fix pot-holes. Living in a weathly area helps apparently as the council know that people can afford (good) solicitors / or are solicitors themselves so fix the road quicker as the cars wheels (from more expensive cars) cost a fortune. Bit of insider info passed to me.... Take a photo of damage and cause etc for evidence.

Piers