Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Using and EU2 engine loom and an Emerald on an EU3 car

Richard Price

• Area Representative

I've helped swap an engine today.

The car is a 2003 EU3 car.

The orginal engine is an EU3 VVC, and replacement engine is a VHPD on Jenveys with an Emerald, and an EU2 engine loom.

It's now running *smile*, but we've got a couple of issues ☹️

1) The tacho is almost double what the Emerald is seeing (and the Emerald sounds closer to right to me)

2) The coolant temperature is corrently reading 120°C, but the guage in the car is reading less than 90. (we've used the temperature sender off the EU3 engine.)

3) The Lamda probe connections are different, But the lamba control in the Emerald is not enabled, So I guess that's OK?

4) We've had to frig the wiring because the fuel pump had no power to it. The EU2 engine loom has a White core that should be supplying power to the fuel pump relay, but its not alive. I can see this white core going into the loom at the MFU, but can't see the other end any where. Where does it come from? has anyone got a wiring diagram for a standard EU2 engine loom. Now that we've remove this white core, and bridged it to one of the brown's with a white stripe, we've got the fuel pump being powered at the appropriate times.

Edited to correct a couple of spelling mistakes (it had been a long day in the garage!)

Edited by - richard price on 21 Feb 2011 08:58:30

• Area Representative

OK, I now understand why the fuel pump was not getting any power to it!

The EU3 and EU2 MFRU's are wired differently!

If we'd have used an EU2 MFRU, we would not have had to modify the wiring.