Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 into 1 exhaust manifold

rob spencer

• Support Team

Having read a number if threads I now understand that my *short* manifold is a complete pile of poo.

So I'm going to invest in something a bit more exotic but have a couple of questions:

1 should i buy the Caterham parts or (as some suggest) are there better options from independent suppliers?

2 can I reuse the existing silencer or will I need to get another one to fit?

www.powerspeed.co.uk

As it happens I was talking to someone else on here who was thinking about arranging a bulk purchase discount with powerspeed.

the one of cost for stainless steel 4-2-1 manifold, repackable silencer and fitting was £530 inc. vat,

if we can get a group of us together:

5 people we get 10% off (£481.82)

10 people we get 15% off (£460.87)

i did this in a group of 5 last year with powerspeed. I also got it camcoated as well cos i wanted it black and its keeps things cooler so you won't burn yourself on it.

However the result had a warped mating surface to the head. not sure which process was to blame but its been machined down now.

anyway - very pleased with the result.

HOOPY R706KGU See you at Cadwell *thumbup* *smile*

I *think* they had one car and made a jig up from it then made the 5 or so exhausts and checked each one in the car.

The discount was of the order of 10% I think. It was over 6 months ago and may have been a tad cheaper, but i got it camcoated as well so the figure I remember is a fair bit more.

robmar may remember more...

HOOPY R706KGU See you at Cadwell *thumbup* *smile*

• Support Team

I/ve got an SV so the distance from the head to the outside of the car is about 5cm further than a standard car.

I rang Caterham today for their price. As its an SV they only do the 4-2-1 version with a catless silencer (a la VHPD) all @ £816 plus delivery inc VAT

Any takers for a bulk buy with powerspeed?

Tony C,

Thank you....it would seem that Powerspeed are going to use your car to make my pipes while it is there,I am still building my kit so cannot get it down there for them to fit it,hope you don't mind?

I have asked them to make it the same as one they made for Mick Smith,long primaries and secondaries.

Dave Andrews advises the pipes need to come out of the head with an upward turn to follow the general direction of the port,could you make sure this is the case?

My engine is (will be) a VVC headed 1.8,porting done by DVA and Larger valves/Piper cams.

Hope the exhaust turns out as good as they are said to be.

Regards,

Dave. *thumbup*

I am about to finally order (I hope) a 1600 Roadsport after months of wrangling with a remortgage to finance it!

Now I would like a 4-2-1 exhaust. *smile*

BUT I am told - previous thread - that you cannot fit long primaries, a 2 section and a one section, then a Cat Converter then a silencer (maybe the other way round) in the available space. ☹️ Wisdom seems to be a 4-1 arrangement with the extended primaries into a collector, then the cat and silencer. So I guess that is what I want.

Clearly no point in buying the original short primaries and single pipe section with the build from Caterham, just to bin them immediately. Also the extended primaries need a big hole in the body work and as I will pay a small fortune for metalic paint, it seems madness to cut the hole DIY after the paint job Best I ask Caterham to do the exhaust from the begining. Hopefully subtract cost of discarded bits from cost of new bits and pay the difference *idea*

So do you think I will get any joy from Caterham (Well Millwood actually as they are 20 minutes away) 🤔 🤔 Or do you think I will just end up paying twice 🤔

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Hitched a ride in a 7 *eek*

Ordering a 7 *wink*

Will Own a 7 😬

'I suffer from wind'-well my 4into1 does. I seem to remember a posting suggesting a compound that will withstand heat and remain flexible that is obtainable from a plumber merchants that i wish to use to stop blowing and rattles from the collector. I thought to use the exhaust repair putty from Halfords but this dries rock hard. any suggestions please.

Igot1

Tony,

I'm shortly to order a Powerspeed exhaust (through the bulk buy in the For Sale section) for my Superlight. I think you're talking about the best curvature for the primaries aren't you? If you don't mind this is probably useful information for other interested parties, do you mind posting it here?

Also, I've heard rumour that Powerspeed are finally going to manufacture a jig for these exhausts, do you know if they've done this/are going to do this, and if so will it be based on the longer primaries you've been discussing?

thanks,

Mike.

Tony,

Got your email,I tried to reply but seems not to like it.

Spoken to Powerspeed,they are already making your pipe but I have tried to explain what was explained to me by Dave Andrews to them (if you see what I mean)

The exhausts ideally need to be on an upward angle as they leave the head so as not to give any resistance to the exhaust gases which are heading that way because of the upward angle of the ports as they leave the cylinder.

The standard caterham manifold (4 into 1 within a foot) has the pipes welded at 90 degrees to the manifold plate,this has the effect of making the exhaust gases bounce off the top wall of the pipe shortly after it leaves the manifold thus causing disturbance to the flow.

I have tried to explain this to Powerspeed who now understand what I was looking for but,due to the restraints of space in the engine bay and the strengthening crossmembers down the sides feel they will not be able to give the ideal shape to the pipes.

They say they will do the best they can to give them an upward angle as they leave the ports but it is always going to be a compromise.

There is a possibility of taking the primaries up and over the cross member then back down again but this may leave some piping coming out at a different level to the rest and nowhere near the original hole.

What they really need is a bare unpanelled chassis with an engine in it to get the best route.

Hope this clears things up a bit.I did a little sketch but as I couldn't send it that was in vain.

Regards,

Dave. *confused*

Hi

It seems to me that getting the upward angle ie free flow exiting from the head

is difficult for the reasons Dave mentions, ie space and strengthing brace running close

to the head, this all relates to a K series, when I was at Powerspeed we looked at my car

and it does seem that to achieve a uniform system and get all the pipes to exit out of a

reasonable size hole is not easy at all, the VX engine is I think a different proposition as it

is not canted over. I will follow all this up when I collect my car and post results etc.

Rgds

Tony

Hi

is difficult for the reasons Dave mentions, ie space and strengthing brace running close

to the head, this all relates to a K series, when I was at Powerspeed we looked at my car

and it does seem that to achieve a uniform system and get all the pipes to exit out of a

reasonable size hole is not easy at all, the VX engine is I think a different proposition as it

is not canted over. I will follow all this up when I collect my car and post results etc.

Rgds

Tony

Hi

Rgds

Tony