Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drycell batteries and Optimate 3

grumpy the 7th

I'm thinking of either a PVR25 or Red Top 15 (both similar price)

WILL my Optimate 3 be any use on these gel batteries?

What do you use to trickle charge these batteries over winter to stop them discharging on the immobiliser?

Could I just disconnect the battery and trickle charge with a recommended charger?

What do you people use/do to keep them charged?

edited to get the battery type correct 😳

Edited by - roger heeley on 11 Feb 2011 15:11:24

Odyssey in mine now (Equivalent of Redtop 25, killed Redtop 20 through deep discharge, IMHO a 15 is too small). Been great because of an Optimate 3 (started on button after 2 months lay up). Call Dave K at Tweeks for a discounted price and a nice aluminium Varley battery tray. *thumbup*

I currently have mine connected with the Optimate flying lead which involves lifting bonnet. Got a fused 12v socket to install which will make that unnecessary (and also mean I see when it's still connected before reversing out of the garage *redface*).

• Support Team

I've been using an Optimate on my Redtop 25 for years and it's kept it in fine condition.

Odyssey/Redtop/etc. are "absorbed acid" batteries where the acid is absorbed into fine glass mats. That's why you can mount them in any oirentation, send them through the post and not spill acid everywhere if the case gets cracked.

To charge thge battery, Enersys recommend a charge current of 0.4 of the 10hr rate. This works out as 6.4 amps, so ideally, you need a C-Tek XS7000 in order to maintain and charge the battery. Many people how used the Optimate with success, but if the battery discharges, you may shorten the life if you don't charge it properly.

See here for recommended chargers, and here for the charging instructions.