Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New build on my lift?

Redmax

I'm collecting my R300 race car kit next month, on my birthday coincidentally enough, so very excited!

I'm starting to think about the build logistics. I have a small lift which goes up about a metre or so, pic below:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/Redmax95/Garage/IMG_1849.jpg

I'd assumed I would build the car on the lift, but thought I should sense-check that with those who've actually built one.

I figured I'd still use axle stands as is usual, and thought these would be good for the rear:

http://www.cjautos.site90.net/mobil.jpg

Or would they get in the way whilst fitting the diff?

For the front I'll use a single axle stand in the centre as usual, supported across the lift by a steel strut. Again, would this get in the way of the engine crane?

I can move the lift out of the way and build on the floor if the collective wisdom suggests that would be easier.

So, should I build it on the lift or on the floor?

Many thanks

Jason

Is that your garage? 🥰 🥰 🥰 I am so jealous...

I built mine on axle stands. I got it on it's wheels before fitting the engine, I think it's easier to roll the chassis back and forth than the engine crane, but everyone does it differently. Build it on the lift, it's easier to work on something you don't have bend over to get to, stick the wheels on, roll it off, fit the engine, back on the lift. Ta da!

Jason, I am not convinced you are really looking for help, just an excuse to post a pic of your Garage *tongue*, I thought I had spotted some dust in the corner, but it was a mucky laptop screen *redface*,

oh yes build advice, sorry bought mine built so cannot help, but I am prepared to offer as much sarcasm as required if that will help, I suspect however you choose to do the work the build will be immaculate (not sarcasm 😬)

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 10 Feb 2011 13:05:53

Jeez. Thats not a garage thats an operating theatre!! here but it doesn't even come close. Thats more like an F1 factory!!!

When I built mine I had quite chunky axel stands on the highest setting. At first you want it up quite high to get the suspension on etc but later its good to go lower when you want to get into the engine bay etc.

My stands were actually too high for my jack and I had to use the engine crane to get it off.

I also chose a different sequence to the build manual and built a rolling chassis first before putting the engine in. If you do that - don't forget to lay the prop in the tunnel before installing the diff of course.

I agree your style of stands might get in the way when fitting the diff. You have to bench press that into place from your face so you need to be lying flat on the ground at that point.

Oh and having a flippin' massive plasma TV in the garage as well is just taking the ****!!! 😬 😬 *wink*

Enjoy the build.

Martin

Garth, spiderlane and myself built ours on a chassis scissor lift. Here are some pics:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2736/4277146882_4727934462_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2747/4277147640_7a9d158044_z.jpg

Being able to change the height makes much of the difficult very easy

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4346721643_1c2b37b081_z.jpg

Your unit is a wheel lift though, so youwould ideally want to make up a bridge arrangement that allows you to lift by the chassis rails rather than the wheels. The standard build sequence for those with plenty of space puts the rear wheels on very late in the process, rather than the old school rolling chassis sequence. It makes much of the build easier due to the improved access without the running gear in the way.

That garage is nicer than my house.

Putting it on the lift is best IMO, a lot of things on a 7 are very very low so getting it up at a decent height will save aggro and backache. You can always roll it on and off as nec once the wheels are on.

I can't see a vice in your glamorous garage (is that a "glamrage"?). You need one. Trust me. *smile*

Jason - Rattie got to respond before I could! As he suggests I would build the whole thing on the lift on some form of timber structure so you can support the chassis in the right places. Two things which caught me out were getting the engine hoist legs in far enough under the lift - just make sure you position the chassis in the correct place and also getting it off the support structure onto its wheels!

PS I cannot see the hob in your kitchen! -- or the overhead hoist for that matter!

Yep, fantastic bit of kit and Martyn's right, I bought mine direct from those guys.

I used a wooden sled of Martyn's design to hold the chassis for the build, but now I use the supplied arms/pads to lift the car when needed. Since I only have a single garage (unlike that fabulous example in the first post) I store the car over the lift, so I have a couple of timber ramps each side to gain the clearance required.

It make the tricky jobs much easier during the build and helps enormously with servicing/inspection and general maintenance if you like that sort of thing (which I do)

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the comments about my garage. I took the opportunity to build my long-planned 'dream garage' when we moved last year. I'm not building it in my kitchen Nigel, it's much nicer than my kitchen! Tim - I promise I wasn't posting the picture for anything other than for advice, I got the 'showing off' out of my system on Pistonheads..!

It definitely sounds like building it on the lift is the way to go, and probably getting to rolling chassis stage before installing the engine. I'm a bit nervous about the ceiling height (and in particular garage door height) with the engine crane, so if the car's moveable I can get the engine in whilst the car's outside if it comes to it.

Batteredoldsupersport - good spot on the vice, that's still on the to-do list and I need to get that sorted. I did buy one but it was worse than useless so I never fitted it.

Cheers

Jason

Jason

If you're worried about the height or clearance, you could try doing a dry run with just the engine to make sure you can get the crane into basically the right place. Do however remember that the CofG and hence the hook will end up being a bit further back once the gearbox is haging off it. Alternatively you could do what CC Mids do and attach the two in situ, avoiding much of the aggro.

I was surprised how little room (height included) you need to get the engine in, when you can get the chassis down low to receive it.

I bet all those cabinets are full of prestine tools 😬

What a wonderfull garage 🥰

This is my prefered method of keeping the car off the ground. I didn't build my car but there are no jobs that you couldn't do with it on these stands, and it's very stable.

Enjoy your build, I know I would *thumbup*