Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Images appearing as links...

Russell M

Great updates *thumbup*

Not sure why but the images posted only appear as links for me unless I go to my profile, change nothing & hit submit *confused* having to do this every time I visit the site otherwise it just reverts back to the links.

I'm using mac OS X & Firefox, it's not a problem but just wondered if I'm missing something...

Mark

Mac and Safari user here - dunno what you have done but am now getting piccies in the signatures. *cool* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

But dont show in Firefox ☹️ *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

or SeaMonkey ☹️ *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

or Chrome ☹️ *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

Rog

(OSX 10.6.6 on a iMac 27" i7 if its any relevance)

Quoting Lee Fowler: 
Same for me, appear as links go to profile hit submit and all is ok. Running Windows 7 Premium and IE 8.

Lee

That's correct, so as not to disturb the status quo, images in posts are shown as links until you specifically ask that they are shown as images, in the same way - signatures are not shown unless you want to see them; all of which you can do through your profile. When you submit/save your profile, theser settings are then stored in a cookie on your computer. You will have to do this on each computer that you use Blatchat on so that the cookie is stored there.

There was a bug that meant these settings weren't being retained when the browser was closed, but I think that's fixed now.

Edit - lousy spelling

Edited by - Site Manager on 13 Feb 2011 11:11:56

Hi Doug,

If you haven't done so recently, go to your profile and submit/save it. Returnt to forums, refresh page to check that images are being shown inline.

To check that your viewing preferences have been saved correctly in Safari, go to Preferences, open Security tab, click on 'Show Cookies' and look for the Blatchat cookie named 'User' The expiry date should be set to a year hence.

Can we have it so that photos and signatures are shown to all users by default and that you have to disable them by altering your account details.

This is more in line with most (all?) forums, where photos etc are widely used.

Otherwise, each time I use a different PC/device to access BC I have to alter my account setting again - and again when I delete cookies... *smile*

On a related theme (request not bug)..

Can we have a way of easily uploading photos into posts?

ie. a way where a user can write a new post, click on a button which opens a 'upload image' dialogue, which then allows a user to upload and post a photo to BC.

Most forums do this as standard and it makes usage so much easier.

Quoting skydragon: 
Can we have it so that photos and signatures are shown to all users by default and that you have to disable them by altering your account details.

No. The old system didn't show (have) them by default and I didn't want that to change. To see these things conveniently you have to have a profile. To have a profile, you have to be a club member.

To see these things conveniently you have to have a profile. To have a profile, you have to be a club member.
but a non-member can just click on the link to see a photo, so it isn't 'protecting' any content (if that is the objective?).

any comments ref image uploading to BC?

Quoting skydragon: 
On a related theme (request not bug)..

Can we have a way of easily uploading photos into posts?

ie. a way where a user can write a new post, click on a button which opens a 'upload image' dialogue, which then allows a user to upload and post a photo to BC.

There are plenty of free image-hosting sites around and I didn't want to have to get into a situation where I had to provide the storage space and then the facilities to allow people to manage their own pictures.

Quoting skydragon: 
Most forums do this as standard.

Do they?

Understood that's the current status, but it's a shame if L7C couldn't consider doing this as a future upgrade.

Yes, agreed, it would mean the club would be providing facilities for image hosting etc, but it would IMHO make BC better, not just in terms of ease-of-use but also in terms of the inevitable lost/broken image links that will happen in time when using links to 3rd party sites. *thumbup*

I dont' know the stats *smile* but many forums offer image uploading.

Cheers.

Chris.

Quoting Lee Fowler: 
Quick Update, boot laptop and log on, unable to view pics, qlick on profile do nothing and update all ok. Reboot and log on again, unable to view pics and profile not remembering Username and Password etc.

Lee

Any news? Still the same for me!

Lee

Quoting Lee Fowler: 
Any news? Still the same for me!

Lee

Lee, I'm sorry, I thought all issues were fixed now.

In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options.

On the General tab, in the Browsing History section click the 'Settings' button

Click View files. Make the window wide enough so that you can see the 'Last Modified' column. Click it until the files are sorted in descending Modified date order.

Scroll down the list from the top until you see a cookie for www.blatchat.com or 213-04.com, whichever you use.

What's in the expiry date column?

It should be a year since you clicked the profile submit/save button. If it isn't, please go to your profile, save it and check the expiry date again for me please?

Username and password only saved if you click 'remember details' box when posting.

Many thanks

Barry

Edited by - Site Manager on 17 Feb 2011 23:05:46