Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Damper clicks

Steve W

I have an 89/90 didion fitted with the old style spax damper with adjustable platforms.

On backing off the front dampers one click today I noticed a strange thing.

One damper adjustment seems to click every ¼ turn and the other every 1/8 turn *confused*

Anyone else ever seen this?

The first click or setting is very hard to determine but they both seem to have the first positive setting at around 1 ¾ turns. So I gave one side one turn (4 clicks) and the other 1 turn (8 clicks).

Does this seem right?

Steve in my experiance the spax (yes i have them on my 88 de dion too) arn,t the best example of quality (only my opinion *tongue*) but i think you will find that you have doubled the damping force on one side !, not compensated for the feel of your adjusters.

The dampers on my own car are very close in feel but those that i replaced were as you have described.

hope this helps Marc *wink*

trying hard to keep it between the hedges !

Well both dampers were replaced at the same time about 18 months ago ?

If they doubled the number of clicks is the range still the same just more adjustment ?

Only had a quick run in the car at the weekend but it does not feel like there is much more damping on one side ?

Now I’m very confused *confused* *confused*

Steve if i where you i would reset each damper to zero and then count the full amount of clicks, if they are the same you proberbly don,t have a problem . if they are i would phone spax and ask there advise. PS. count how many clicks you take off each and record it that way you can simply reset if you are happy with the set up of your 7.

Marc *wink*

trying hard to keep it between the norfolk hedges !

Well after spending some more time under the car I still do not have a clear answer. If you keep turning the damper adjuster it just keeps turning. Now if you back off the adjuster on both sides each takes 4 complete turns. One just clicks every ¼ turn and the other every 1/8th turn. If you ignore the number of clicks and just count the amount of turn (both set at 2 turns) then car feels balanced. I think I’ll just forget about it and drive the car. See how it feels at Cadwell on Friday !