Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Best radiator to buy?

jp7

Toby's post prompted me to check and I see that the R400 rad that CC has just sent me (for my Sigma 125) does not have the small overflow pipe connection at the top of the radiator!

Any suggestions - could one 'T' it into the side of the top hose or into the top of the radiator where there is currently a bung plug???

Garth

Garth

I'm guessing a hose take off like this from Revotec at DemonTweeks should do the trick if CC are out of ideas. Unless someone knows otherwise I assume you could put one in the wall of the top hose and run the overflow pipe off that.

Here's a cutaway section to show how they work:http://89.206.185.119/images/product/summary/rev_sealing_tk_off_d2.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys - have fitted the new R400 rad - the small pipe outlet on the old radiator is so that the system will self bleed - not essential so just meant I had to adapt the plumbing slightly and bleed the new rad manually when I was filling the system.

Car runs noticeably cooler with the larger radiator - hope this will not be a problem!?

• 2 weeks later...

Having just fitted my new Radtec unit( actually Mark Crabtree did all the work I just watched in awe) I would advise that you make sure all the bleed/fan nuts/bolts and thermostat sender are tightened up properly before installation. Also if you do order one for a Sigma make sure you specify that the overflow pipe is about one inch away from the top feed pipe. It will make fitting the two pipes a lot easier. It is however a very good piece of kit . Eta as the sender on the radiator is not needed for a Sigma I would suggest you get them to blank it off all together.

Edited by - TobyCoulson on 7 Mar 2011 08:00:23

Toby - glad to hear your new radiator has now been fitted. I took my 7 for a blast down to Goodwood on Sunday and my new R400 rad is holding up very nicely and no leaks anywhere - at the moment - definetly runs a little cooler and the fan is does not kick in as much in traffic - hope your Radtec does the trick!

Quoting Garth: 
Toby - glad to hear your new radiator has now been fitted. I took my 7 for a blast down to Goodwood on Sunday and my new R400 rad is holding up very nicely and no leaks anywhere - at the moment - definetly runs a little cooler and the fan is does not kick in as much in traffic - hope your Radtec does the trick!
Never had a real problem with overheating. The reason for change was that I though the CC rad had developed a leak and this being the second one( the first was replaced under warranty a couple of years back) I decided to upgrade to a more robust model. It would appear that the rad I replaced is ok so now I have a spare!. Probably sell it though.