Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff /Axle problem advice sought...please

Tonycaterham

At the last track day started to notice noise from rear axle (Ford live axle). When turning a corner slowly on either lock a loud clicking noise could be heard from the back axle.

So took axle apart and removed diff in its casing which is 3.9 TranX LSD only fitted 3 months ago and done 2 sprints and one and a half track days and about 100 road miles. On removing diff in its casing expected to see bits of metal in oil but nothing all looked OK.

Took diff in casing to TranX (who had originally built it) who stripped and rebuilt it but could find nothing wrong *confused*.

So put everything back together and just tried car out same noise again!!

On close inspection noise no existent when car is driven in straight line. If drop clutch both wheels spin so LSD appears to be working OK. But drive forward slowly with lock on and the wheel clicks and almost ‘shudders’. Also after 10 minute blat the diff is really quite warm.

If jack up rear of car and prevent one wheel from turning then can turn the other wheel relatively easily by hand through 360 degrees and more, but makes the same clicking ratchety type noise.

Before I take the whole lot out and apart again has anyone any ideas?

Alternatively should I take whole axle out and take it to someone to look at. I live in North Yorkshire so any suggestions as to where to take it even down as far as the Midlands would be appreciated.

Also means I will not be doing Slipstream track day next Friday…Doh!!!

Thanks

Tony ☹️

John and Chris,

Thanks for the responses.

This thing is when I first fitted the diff it did not make and real noises apart from a faint clonk when pushing it around. It ghas donre two sprintsa ns one track day an all was quiet but hlafway thorugh second track day on pulling back into the pits the 'clanking' could be heard. The noise it makes now has people 20 yards away look at my car.

I am using a good quality oil as recomended by Tran-X.

The ramp angles are 35/90 with about 35lb of pre-load.

Regards

Tony

Thanks for the advice.

I have now spoken to Steve Perks at SPC (helpful chap). Assures me this is all perfectly normal!!! Did not make noises to start with because still bedding in so the fact that it is making all thses noises demonstrates that all is now all working perfectly normally.

Better get the neighbours some ear plugs!!!

Tony

Thanks for the oil info Tony.

I found this on the Red Line Oil site

""80W140 Gear Oil - generally used in commercial trucks which will climb long, steep grades and some racing applications where power is not critical. Generally 0.5% less efficient than 75W90. Can also be used in differentials and transmissions where excessive noise is a problem and limited-slip differentials which vibrate excessively when turning a corner. Exceeds API GL-5."

Phil Waters

General Dog's Body

Whippet Racing 😬