Click here if you are having website access problems ×

READ THIS! "The Rag Spanner"

Julian Thompson

When I used to fly model helicopters, they used to go wrong so often (vibration etc) that a complete check over was mandatory after every afternoon session. We used to call it the "Rag Spanner" - because wiping every little bit of the model down to clear away the grime and oil would often reveal all sorts of potentially catestrophic little maladies.

I am obsessive about my 7 and rightly so, based on this afternoon's events; returning home from an absolute humdinger of a blast around the moors I took the nose and bonnet of the car and begun to wipe everything down with WD40, checking and fiddling.

My car went to Caterham Midlands for SVA, who had used ty wraps to secure the radiator hose that runs from the "T" pipe forwards and then down to the bottom rad hose. They had strapped it to the chassis X member where the brake pipe and the loom run. If you can't visualise this then say so and I'll take a photo - IT IS IMPORTANT YOU CHECK YOUR CAR NOW!

The jubilee clip has almost eaten its way through the ******* brake pipe in 1081 miles. DO NOT USE TY WRAPS FOR THIS JOB - MAKE A BETTER MOUNT FOR IT!!!

If I hadn't been poking about like this I'd never have seen it until after I was picking bits of myself, and the car, out of a hedge. Not funny.

Whilst we're on the subject , I notice that the handbrake cable had been rubbing through the electrical wires (presumably that run to the rear lights) that are ty-wrapped to the chassis rail that runs underneath the de-dion tube.

Not quite as serious, but I guess it could start a fire.