Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Westfield Question toe out

Paul D Jones

Dunno mate but Pat's Westy Megabird is now finished and he took me out for it's "running in" session this afternoon.

I think he VMAX'd it in every gear, buzzed it to about 16000rpm and we must have bounced off the limiter in top.

The thing sounds like absolute shyte, with awful driveline shunt, massive virbration.

Lots of toe out, too, so don't worry about that! It is bloooooooooody fast, though!!! And I assume it is now run in, too.

Now where was that change of underpants?.......................

Julian,

*eek*

IIRC it's a brand new engine that Pat has in his 'bird?

It might not last long being treated like - I know of one which lasted 120 miles through not being run in properly, before it expelled #3 conrod out the side.

The Honda run-in procedure is www.megabird.co.uk

Edited by - moomin on 16 Sep 2002 15:38:57

Actually he's been lucky! The loom was apparantly made wrong by Westfield and so the tacho reads x 2!!!!!

This means he buzzed it to only 8k and was using 7k as his change up point!!!!

Lucky sod! (sort of saved him from himself, eh?)

I shall fix the problem this week and then, no doubt whatsoever, he'll find 14000rpm!

I personally don't really believe in too much running in, though, and feel that engine damage is exponentially proportional to revs - so I think 8000rpm would be okay! Also, bore wash doesn't appeal, and neither does wasting the only decent sunshine we get pootling around!!

Anyway, the fact that he's only taken it to 7000rpm and I was already thinking it was as quick as my 209bhp SLR (pared down to weight, too!) should be enough to make old Pat grin wildly!

I think his car will be just totally, totally mad fast when revved "all the way" - looks like I might need to pretend there is a large stone trapped under the accelerator!!!!

(Or send Oily off with a large, money stashed briefcase.........) *eek*

Hi Julian,

Ah the double reading tacho. I've just fixed this on mine (though I haven't run the engine again yet to find out if I really have fixed it!). Take the signal off the low tension positive feed to one of the coil packs. *thumbup*

I wish I didn't have to run it in, but I can't really afford to take the chance.

Use the gears, keep the revs down, and be grateful that you've got it on the road - or on trade plates I suspect? 😬

Oh and just wind the throttle pedal stop back a bit so he can't get WOT.... *tongue*

*smile*

Moomin.

www.megabird.co.uk

Double reading tacho sussed, along with iffy reading speedo!

No way I can stop Lord Buxton from WOT, I'm afraid, it's in his blood! When your dad's address starts with "Kiln Hall" you aren't so worried about your conrods, eh? *biggrin*

Nonetheless, Pat is a rather excellent pilot, so I think we'll forgive him for not running in his MegaBird and worry about how on earth I am going to keep up with him around the nations tracks next year! 😳

SVA is Friday, so the "Plastic Rat" better pass 😬 because I ain't got time to be arsed about by some anal SVA tester......

We will fail.

Of this I am sure. One contributing factor is that the guy at Westfield seems pathalogically incapable of understanding the expression "We need the SVA pack very urgently because our test is on Friday at 8.30am" - which isn't so tough to get your head round, no?

He casually posted it.......

And we ain't got it yet. And it's Wednesday night.

Also, various parts of the car are as sharp as a Wilkinson Sword and there are still all sorts of little things to do to get the car to the elusive standard, which, obviously, I don't know anything about.

Meanwhile, back at SVA headquarters, the Evil Testers are plotting new and devious ways to fail the little plastic car for all sorts of heinous reasons. The sharp fog lamp switch, or what about the deadly reversing lamp ? Those bonnet catches look sharp, too - I'd be mighty pissed off to cut my finger on one of those as I sailed, unconcious and bleeding from a frontal impact with the 130mph projectile, accross the bonnet........

The Megabird doesn't have a lambda probe either, which according to Mr Westfield, is okay. Mr SVA will no doubt disagree, and blame us for 15% of world pollution.

He will, then, no doubt be issuing a failure notice - the question being, "Just how failed is failed?"

I'll keep you posted.

Julian,

Just read your other thread. Sounds like a bit of a mare.

It also sounds like SVA is a bit of "luck of the draw" really - if you get the time the tester is being watched then obviously it's going to be by the book.

Some interesting failure points which I'll make sure I double check.

Will let you know about the bag of bolts, but from memory of driving a 'busa, it does. I assume you mean the diff is really noisy?

Best of luck with the (stoopid) fixes.

Moomin.

www.megabird.co.uk

Oh yes, forgot- the bag of bolts noise thing.

On a really light throttle it is like a vibro massage through the chassis with assorted metallic thrashing and rattling as a symphony. Not fun on a motorway.

Infact, the car is very ☹️ until you give it toe, when it is most definately 😬 😬 😬 ; the whole thing just gels and chews up tarmac at a ridiculous rate. Big Fun.

I'd be REALLY keen to know if we have a problem though, or is the awful noise and vibration just a by product of the daft amount of UJ's and kinks in the powertrain?