Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

creaking dedion

alicat

The creaking has been driving me nuts - the other half says it's me thats creaking not the car!

The car creaks when I get in it (no I'm not thet heavy) and creaks under acceleration.

Anyway found the problem, front of the A frame where it attaches to the car. If I slaken the bolts off the craking goes, if I tighten them back up no creak for a couple of miles, then it comes back.

Firstly, anyone else had the problem (it may be normal I'm new to Se7en ownership). If not any cures? and is there a correct way to torque up these joints?

🤔

I have no technical assisance to offer, but I can confirm that my old x/flow (1990) and Al Crickmore's old x/flow (1993) both creaked in a similar way to which you describe.

If your car is a X/Flow: "they all do that, sir".

C7 GAR

Oh Yes Yes Yes Yes

the problem is probably that the rubber bush has 'parted' and rather than the rubber moving with the A frame going up and down, the two sides of the crack (ahem) are rubbing against each other. Either change the A frame or get it re-bushed (not sure how to do the latter though).

Graham

Well I always like a pessimist *wink*

I will no doubt find out in the morning - although when I tried it earlier round the block with the bolts slackened off there was no noise - it only comes back when the bolts are tightened right up - hence my question on correct torque. At this moment I am optamistic that if torqued correctly there won't be a problem (no doubt you will prove me wrong).

Logically if they are tightened right up the will restrict the movement of the A frame and hence it creaks

I will let you know how it pans out

soz ☹️, didn't mean to be a pessimist, but the way that the bush works means that tightening it up less will not make it work properly. It is designed so that there is a 'cotton-reel' piece of rubber pressed into the outer casing with a steel sleeve in the middle. The steel sleeve is bolted up tight with the bolt and cannot move. So tightening it less (unless the over-tightening is distorting it), should make no difference. The flexing of the rubber is where the movement occurs.

Anyway *smile*, lets see what happens.

Just trying to help.

Graham

• Support Team

Tony

I had exactly the same problem with my new car after only a few miles. I built it exactly as the book sais but still it creaked like buggery.

After taking apart, retorquing, taking apart again, retorquing again ( and it still creaked after a few miles of running) I sussed out the problem.

The steel sleeve in the bush is not long enough. The large washer under the nut on the inside of the car rests in the A frame itself rather than the steel sleeve in the bush and has the effect of clamping the A frame to the chassis whan it it tightened.

The force of the tightened nut goes to

1 the large washer

2 the A frame

3 the chassis

It should be the bush's sleeve that is clamped to the chassis with the rubber surround able to flex in order to take up the movement of the A frame.

Solution:

remove the nut and the large washer. add a smaller washer (or two if necessary) that has a smaller outside diameter than the inside diameter of the A frame end. Refit the large washer (to prevent you loosing the end of the A frame when the bush eventually gives up the ghost), replace the nut and retighten.

The force of the tightened nut now goes to

1 the large washer

2 the smaller washers

3 the steel bush sleeve

4 the chassis

Bobs your uncle, The A frame is no longer clamped directly to the chassis and the creaking dissapears

I will strip it off again and check that it is the bush that is being clamped and not the A Frame - just in case. I thought about some coopergrease, but went for the coppergrease instead, there is some difference between a barrel makers and a policeman!

Thanks All *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Latest news

Stripped off and checked - you were right, on the nearside the washer between the nut and bush shows some sign of it being in conact with the A Frame. Have added a washer and now bush is clamped via centre tube. offside was fine *thumbup* *thumbup*

I can now tell the other half it was the car not me that was creaking *smile*

I had exactly the same problem, got under the old gal yesterday and low and behold, same sort of wear on the washers, now spaced and copaslipped ...result.........no more creaking..... thanks guys...even Caterham midlands couldn't solve this for me....I am one happy bunny... 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Dave Jackson

British Racing Green and Yellow Nose The only way to low fly 😬