Click here if you are having website access problems ×

catch tanks

Fred

A lot of racers have a sealed catch tank with a breather out to a beer can or similar [OK you could be posh and use a bicycle drinks container]. That way the catch tank breathes but oil filled fumes are contained by dropping to the bottom. You seldom get anything in the beer can although if you have a gearbox breather it is useful to take it straight to the can. That way you can easily tell if the gearbox is expelling too much oil and when in needs topping up.

For type 9 gearboxes Brian Hill now does a new top cover with a neat dipstick arrangement. Also allows you to refill through the dipstick hole rather than the side plug.

Does that go on the top where it says "Caterham 6 Speed" - can you access it okay even with the dry sump tower "in the way"? Also, I bet you're going to tell me its an engine out job to fit it!

On the subject of breathers - So you mean have 2 breathers, one as a catch tank and then one to accept the vapour. Does the vapour turn into oil again when it cools? Can't I just pump the vapour back into the engine somewhere? Or is this missing the point of a breather?

Julian,

A type 9 is the Ford 5 speed box - mine has the Quaiffe internals. Top cover can be fitted in situ on a VX.

Brian actually designed the Caterham 6 speed box so he might be able to do something similar. He still has the original chromed show box in his workshop.

I've always run the double system, splitting engine oil from gearbox oil. The vapour has a degree of oil suspended in it which drops to the base of the tank. Excess air, almost free of oil [judging by what is left in the second tank] breathes to the beer can. Don't know the technical argument on pumping back into the engine - never have and I think there might be a danger of picking up foreign matter from the catchtank - I never re-use expelled oil.

Alternatively, I think Kent do a special breather filter to atmosphere if you wanted to go that direction. Rally Design have it in their catalogue.

I have the top of the dry sump tower vented back into the cam cover, then vent the cam cover out to a Moroso catch tank with an integral filter to stop oily fumes escaping into the engine bay. It's a bit of a temporary arrangement, I intend to put a T-piece in the vent line from the top of the tower and vent it to the cam cover and catch tank.

The theory is that the oily fumes end up back inside the engine in preference to clean, fresh air - ejected oil will also recirculate unless the pressure in the cam cover exceeds the ambient pressure in which case it should end up on the catch tank. The current system doesn't quite achieve this, but it's better than standard and only takes a couple of minutes to rig up.

Miraz

looking at the amount of fumes that comes out i defiantly want to get it under the car and away

its like a kettle also minister have blocked of the holes in the cam cover and a label states do not remove. i dont think i would want to vent it back in for fear of condensation going in to the engine

this was always a fault with a lot of cars vaux ect and causing a build up of gunk.

i will phone the one chris mentioned and pace .

thanks for all the help *wink*

fred *eek*