Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where do you get your oil?

puremalt

With the risk of sounding dense always uppermost I plan an oil change this w/end. My local Halfrauds has only propriety brands or Mobil 1 at a tenner or so a litre. We haver done oil to death, and comma has been recommended to me, 5 or 10W 40; but where do I get it. My local (good) factors only has Valvoline. I surely don't have to send off for it to Burton or someone.

BTW I live in Cardiff, which is a reasonably sized city. and its for a 1700 Xflow

Dave Robertson

I run a 1700 xflow westie built at the factory turning 116 bhp at the wheels.

last owner used Castrol GTX changing every 1.5 to 3 k miles normally - i've used Comma 5w30 with no oil loss and am currently on Castrol Magnatec 10w 40. A personal recommendation to me from the tech manager at Castrol Stanlow was that with a tuned engine of this age - i.e one that someone has actually bothered to put together properly, rather than the original production line... - then its better to run high quality 10w40 than run 15w40 / 15w50 / 20w50 originally specced for an xflow. Apparently down to the fact that bore tolerances were looser originally and the parts less evenly shaped leading to oil blow past, hence thicker oil was necessary. 5w30/5w40 types should apparently see a fraction of a BHP extra on the dyno, but could result in a need for an extra oil change (see above) - (but not in the 3K miles mine covered between changes 😬

Basically IMO try and go at least semi-synth and SJ rated on the side of the can 5w40 or 10w40 will do nicely. Granville / Valvoline / Comma / BPCastrol /ExxonMobil etc all do brands like this somewhere! even halfrauds. But theres normally a good small motorfactors out there waiting for your business too.

Or do my Bonus some good and buy Duckhams (but make sure its the one of the green grades..)

By all means try Mobil 1 for a while, and see about oil use vs normal etc, after all it is chuffing good stuff - the oil in my Mk1 Toyota (when i had it ) got cleaner at every 6000 mile change once I started using Mobil 1!

TA