Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Brakes seized

TobyCoulson

Put the car away after being washed and just tried to move the car after a week and it won't budge. Lots of superficial rusts marks on the discs. Is there an easy way to free the brakes up or is it just a case of starting the car and putting it in gear and moving off?

Anything too stupid to be said is sung.

I think it is just as you say. I'd maybe consider a couple of hammer blows to the back of the pad (not the material!) or side of the disc (not the face) to shock them apart but this is not from experience just my thoughts.

Also, once moved make sure the pad material has not been damaged (any that has come away from the pad itself) as this will affect braking.

If leaving the car for any prolonged period after a wash then take for a short drive to dry the brakes. Can happen from rain on a car stored outside too (especially if the handbrake is left on).

Kev

I had exactly the same problem with Pagid RS15 pads on my 4 pot fronts. I used brute force to un-stick them, by pushing car very hard, but it tore the pad material and some of it remained stuck to the disk. It wasn't a total disaster and they were usable but I'd rather not have it happen again. I think I'd try to separate them - maybe using some heat or a cheese wire. How about pouring boiling water over them? I don't know why it would work but it might and the water won't damage the pad material.

Paul

Can't remember why "it was explained to me in the past, but old age you know" best to ping them off in reverse if you have room, although thinking about this now I think that was drum brakes on Mini's, I guess with discs its irrelevant, mine always stick slightly even though Handbrake is never left on, Garage is bone dry and I roll the car into garage without using any brakes, Just give a little more power and they ping off.

Tim

I only get this with a car in a garage too. I think if its parked outside the breeze evaporates the water more effectively before it gets the time to 'rust bond'. You should get a nice 'doiiing..clonk' sound as it comes unstuck ...

Always lets go as you drop the clutch, sometimes with a large 'bang' !!

Certainly did. 😬

No apparent damage from what I can see and have run the car backwards and forwards several times to clear what little rust there was on the discs.

Thanks for the help and another lesson learnt!

Anything too stupid to be said is sung.

My mate (not the most practicle guy) spotted the the brake discs on his mountain bike looked rusty so gave them a spray of WD40 prior to us going out for a ride.

First junction we came to he just sailed across

Or in my case - the wheels looked really mucky so I used WD40, rode it to the top of my road (1 in 8) and then came back down a lot quicker than I was planning on - the green at the bottom of the hill had some new plough marks in it for a few weeks after that act of stupidity - in my defence I was in my teens at the time. I didnt ride it a lot after that experience - hence my need for an SV now *biggrin*

Green/Yellow 2006 1.6K Roadsport SV

I've had this happen a few times. I find rocking the car forwards and backwards quite vigorously via the FIA rollbar works every time. I also leave it in 2nd gear so once it does release the car doesn't continue rolling into the garage door 😳

Also once I've parked the 7 up, I leave in 2nd (on level garage floor) and always ensure the car rocks both ways before I leave it.