Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearbox gear kits?

philwaters

Hi all,

Is it possible to change just the 1st, possibly the 2nd, gear ratios in my type 9 5 speeder? I find the standard 3.65 first is way way too short with the Zetec now but can't afford a full gearbox from places like SPC.

Therefore the gears need to be fully helical to match what I have. Are there a good choice of ratios availiable? Where from?

Is it something I can do myself? I don't know the internal layout of the box but I guess to change 2nd as well might involve a lot more work than just 1st - is this right?

Phil Waters

General Dog's Body

Whippet Racing 😬

There used to be outfits that would machine and weld up non-standard gearbox shafts, but I don't know if they are still going. Have you considered the semi-helical close ratio set that came out a while ago? Road and Race transmissions over them, at £1000 IIRC.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Hi Oliver,

Yeah the semi-helical kit is very nice and I have driven a couple of cars with them fitted. Unfortunately I can't afford one of those as I am swapping to a Ford axle this winter already.

Was just wondering if it is possible to just swap individual ratios...

Phil Waters

General Dog's Body

Whippet Racing 😬

Cheers Arnie,

I did think about this, but I don't want a straight cut due to the noise factor. I don't think I would find a semi-helical for practical money either.

Spoke to Brian Hill on Friday and he'll do me a longer 1st and second in my box, fully helical (2.66 or 2.75 1st and 1.75 2nd) for between £400 and £500 depending on the state of my box.

What do you think of those ratio's for a road going, 160bhp, 146ft lb 2lt Zetec with a 3.9 diff?

Something to ponder....

Phil Waters

General Dog's Body

Whippet Racing 😬