Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Nylon Racing Washer shim ?

ECR

These are the plastic washers that fit between the A frame arms and the DeDion tube at the back of the car. My car has them fitted (apparently not all do) but I have never been clear what they are supposed to do. Given that the principle of the metalastic bush fitted in the DeDion is that the outer sleeve of the bush is fixed and the mating part is clamped onto the inner sleeve causing the rubber to twist in use, why use nylon washers at the clamp point ? I can see some sense if the joint is just lightly clamped and effectively works as a plain bush with nylon thrust washers. Is this how it is supposed to be set up ?

Anyone know ?

Do I leave it "loose" or clamp it up is the question I suppose ....

The metalastic bush has a centre tube longer than the bush housing thus giving a running clearance between the A frame and the deDion tube. At high Lateral loads the bush deflects enough fot the two afore mentioned parts to come into contact.

The nylon washer does two things:

Limits the sideways movement by filling the running clearance gap with something much stiffer than the rubber of the bush.

Provides a low friction surface to prevent binding at the interface so suspension can still move up and down freely.

Torque up as normal.

Worth fitting a new nyloc and retorquing (checking) regularly as this fixing can work loose.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

Edited by - 6speedmanual on 16 Jan 2011 18:09:11