Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shape of flared wings

JACK FLASH

Yes, I belong to the minority of Seveners still using flared wings but on my beloved Twin Cam they are a must. So do not laugh ...

When experimenting with a second set of flared wings today, I noticed that the shape is different to the wings that are on the car now.

One set of wings dates back to 1980, the other one is 1987 or 1988.

Is there some-one out there who knows something about the history of the different shapes of flared wings? Why, types, dates, ...

Just out of curiosity and because of my love for historical mysteries surrounding the Seven.

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com

Jack

Firstly nice to see them called by their correct name. Never heard of them being called clams or clamshell before I saw it on BC. I always saw clamshell used in the context of bonnet designs which wrap over the wingtops à la Range Rover or Saab 900 Classic.

The change in shape may be something to do with a front suspension redesign. Somewhere after 1980, Jez Coates joined Caterham. One of the first improvements was the "full" top wishbone. Also mire suspension travel was on the list of things to sort out. Maybe the different shape was to accommodate these changes?

Btw, in what respect do they differ?

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

Peter,

Your information about suspension travel is new to me. This is a starting point.

I am going to measure the 2 types of wings but at first sight the differences are:

- 1980 type = heavier and wider at the front, they also come further over the front wheel

- 1987/1988 type = lighter, not so wide and the curve is different.

BTW, on my Twin Cam, there are still the supplementary brackets to support the wings in the middle; these brackets were eliminated around 1987 with the introduction of the softer rear wing type.

More information follows.

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com

It's a bit of an educated guess. I would have though some of the "clam" Clan would have known the answer to this. It is however possible they are completely ignoring you they did not register the word "flared" as having anything to do with them!!! *tongue*

Actually I really love the way flared wings compliment the overall styling of the tapered coffin shaped nose. The only reason I don't have is that they would look a bit unusual on a leery green coloured R400...

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

Guys,

As far as I know, the flared wings appeared at the Lotus 7 S2 as an improvement for the cycle wings on the S1. The Seven America was a version of the S2 and logically it had flared wings.

Now before some-one is going to correct me. There was also a 7 S 1/2, being a S1 with some parts of the S2 and with the flared wings. I believe there was only 1 car made like that. Must look that up.

Measuring and comparing is for tomorrow. I' ll post the results.

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com

You'm right, the earlier wings came further forward and also sat much closer to the wheel. I really noticed the difference when I replaced my clad chassis along with the later wings in 1988. Got masses of front end lift and extremely light steering - just like driving on ice. I hated it compared to the feel of the older style wings.

I now have vents in the wings which has given me back the feel and handling.

I have seen a few examples over the years of the rearmost wing mounting pulling out (leaving a large hole) on those models without a mid support. I now use the mid support but fit them so that they push upwards against the wing using a hard foam rubber strip meaning that I don't require the mid fastener to go through the wing.

Dear Jack,

as far as i know early caterham wings should have in the front a recesse. Later after 1987/88 not.

I bought mine, when i exchanged from cyle to flared wings from Redline. Mike told old backwings cars must have at the front wings with a recesse. This wings are less wide, the top on the front shows more to the ground.

Florian

Beschleunigung ist wenn die Traenen der Ergriffenheit waagrecht vorbei fliegen

I had a 1979 crossflow with flared wings and square section supports plus strange scallops about mid section. I always assumed they were originally to accommodate the bowl from a single SU hanging out the side. *confused* Also the rear wings had a more square edge profile.

here

Phil

“Look at life through the aeroscreen, not the rear-view mirror”

Edited by - Phil G on 20 Jan 2011 22:19:38

Ah, I see........

Were these clips the over-centre type as still used on the scuttle side? I guess my 1979 car had the original wings but with the more modern spring clip front catches.

-----

Phil

On my 1967 S2 only the offside wing has a recess to take the bonnet catch which is at the front of the bonnet.

The nearside wing has no recess as the bonnet catch is further back because of the air scoop/intake to the Webers and a recess is not needed.

I've had the car since 1970 and the wings are original at least to when I got it.

Steve D

Lotus 7 S2 1500 Cosworth

This leads me onto another question. Why do Sevens have the silly spring loaded clips at the front? Why not over-centre clips all round?

If the original Lotus 7/ early Caterham bonnet clips were at the front ( like today’s) it would not be anywhere near the scallop I am describing as this was more mid-section near the carbs. It would be further forward where the wing starts to flair out from the side skin mounting.

-----

Phil

Edited by - Phil G on 21 Jan 2011 21:20:51