Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Polishing Webers

virden

My 15 yr old 40's are off of the car at present and I am seeking ways of removing the dull coating of oil and oxidation. Does any one have any recommendations that do not require a complete strip down? I not looking for a gleaming finish, more of a clean one!

1700 Super Sprint, Team Lotus and clams

• Area Representative

When I did my head swap to Coscast and the inlet manifold and carbs were off, I used Gunk Ultra Degreaser and an old washing-up/bottle brush.

Found it in Halfords sitting alongside normal Gunk, but in a handy red plastic spray bottle.

Sprayed it on all over, used most of the bottle actually (but so what), got to work with brush all over, sprayed it again and left it in plastic bag for a bit, then returned to have a final brush off, rinse with hose and WD40 to dispel water before drying overnight in house.

Mavic82 and Tim V-W had been round at mine for us to take the head off the previous weekend and when they came back the next weekend for the refit etc . . . they thought I'd bought a new/recon inlet manifold and Weber carbs. 😬

Giles

Beryl the Yellow HPC Peril

Find someone with an ultrasonic cleaning tank - dunk the entire thing in, with suitable detergent (ie not caustic soda!), remove, rinse, dry and refit.

I would offer, but I don't design those systems anymore, so don't have immediate access to the gear. If you are close to Bradford, I can put you in touch with a couple of guys (my old bosses) with the gear. Start talking cars, praising 1930's MGs, and mention you like V8 Morgans, and you'll get on fine . . ;-)

Bri

I don't know where you are, but if your near north Kent I have an ultasonic bath your welcome to use. It wont take a manifold, but a twin weber at a time will go in. It won't polish them but will get the crud out/off from the inside and out.

Give me a shout if your interested.

• Leadership Team

Virden, if you clean the Webers without stripping them using many of the mentioned chemicals, moving parts will be degreased and very dry. Make sure you carefully re-lube everything especially the butterfly spindles, otherwise you'll have a serious case of trailing throttle on the over-run. Don't ask how I know this *redface*

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 18 Jan 2011 06:26:53

I've put many engine things in the dishwasher including the bellhousing. However do not use dishwasher stuff as it will etch the ali. I used auto clothes washing powder.

Nobody noticed until I put the coolant header tank in, the idea being to get rid of the 10 years of accumulated gunk in the bottom. Cleaned it up OK but left a very strange smell behind. *nono* *eek*