Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyres (yes I know, but I have to ask!)

Ozzy

I know what you're all thinking *rolleyes* *rolleyes* *rolleyes* It's been done to death, but there is another option now on the market.

I have 15" wheels, which I don't want to change at the moment. For the past few years I've run medium 888's, which I think are great. However, they don't last me very long, and the price is becoming prohibitive!

So, my question is: Has anyone tried the Toyo R1R in anger? The write ups seem positive, but most of the reviews I've read, relate to Elise's, Not Caterhams. As these are about £40 cheaper per tyre, and come with deeper tread to start with, it seems attractive. But are they any good?

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

Nigel

I have a set of R1R's on my spare set, did dome miles (100 or so) on them last year and plan to use them all the time when I get around to cutting the wingstays down.

Felt good to me but I have never used 888's so cannot really compare them to those.

If you want to borrow them and try them for a few miles talk to me at next Penn meet.

Alan

I,ve got 15" R1R's and have now done just over 3.5k on them. I used to have 13"MB's with 888's but got fed up with the poor mileage. These tyres compare very favourably with the 888, the big advantage is in the wet - awesome! I drove through France last summer from Le Havre to Bergerac in torrential rain all the way and it was possible to cruise at 75 on the autoroute and that was with standing water, had I been on 888's then no way. They grip in the dry the same as 888's but I only use my car for road use, how they would be on track i don't know. They also grip from cold unlike 888's. The wear rating is 140 compared to 100 for the 888. They also have 6.5mm of tread compared to 5mm with the 888. My rears have now got 5.5mm tread left, the fronts have got 6.2mm. BTW my power output is 230. Basically very pleased and I doubt I would go back to 13" unless they bring out the R1R in that size.

Hey Pesky, is it on the road yet? I imagine my days of trying to keep up with Mr Hatter may be over, once he gets that thing on the road! In fact, I probably won't go out to play with him anymore, as it'll be boring! I suspect he'll be "billy no mates" in no time at all! Although on the upside, it's bound to break down with alarming regularity, so it could be fun waving at him, as we all toodle past 😬

Prs. Thanks for that. These'll only be for road use, as I'll keep a set of barely legal 888's on my spare wheels for track use, so maybe I'll give them a try, if you reckon the grip in the dry is comparable.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

Hmmmmm, who keeps up with who????????????

All I can say is noffffiinnn *wink* *tongue* 😬

Mr Beers has a very fast car (when it is on the road)

Mr Ozzy has a light pointy front end (when the road straightens/speed signs change needs to get going earlier)

Mr Pesky needs to get his car on the road (when when when????)

You Penn's guys - hhhmmmmm, make me 😬

Glad I've got the slowest car so don't get involved in this testosterone filled stuff *wink* *wavey*

Nigel, stop being tight 🙆🏻, if the existing tyres mean you give the Mad Hatter grief then stick with them *wink* *thumbup*

Dicks

Saw blades here

How to drive a car here

I see we've had the usual "helpful" input, from our resident driving instructor then *tongue*

So, I guess that's it then! Nobody else tried them so far.

Still deliberating, as I've also got a set of wheels I want to get refurbed, which is going to cost £190, and then new tyres on top *eek*

C7 FST....Powered by DVA