Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help - what am I doing wrong?

Mike Bey

I am having a bit of an odd problem with my oil filter. Having changed the oil & fitted a new filter (Vaux XE), I set off to work this morning & a few miles down the road a big clatter as my oil filter fell off 😳 and I was left stranded beside the road for two & a half hours waiting to be rescued by the RAC, in a puddle of oil. Now I was not mega-surprised, as I put it down to the usual cause, which is me being a mechanically subnormal f**kwit. However, as fitting an oil filter is no more difficult than fitting a lightbulb, I was a little disappointed with myself.

So, having bought another new filter from Redline today, I stuck it on this evening, filled up with oil, started the car, oil pressure came up nicely, then BANG - so I switched off & looked under the car. There was the filter lying on the garage floor in a pool of oil, with quite a dent in it, where it had been fired off with some force. HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?

The filter screws on nice & smoothly & nips up nicely - how can it be unscrewed & fired off like that??

Am I being very very dense, not for the first time?

Yours confusedly

Mike *confused*

Remember reading others having similar problems with a stuck pressure relief valve

try this thread

http://www.blatchat.com/Topic.asp?topic_id=13760&forum_id=8&Topic_Title=Dry+Sump+X%2FFlow+%2D+Major+Oil+Problems&forum_title=TechTalk

And from another thread

Also whe chamging oil get the corrret oil filter - Champion C116 or Halfords HOF238, TJ FB5300 or Unipart GFE210

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 12 Sep 2002 21:17:07

AVES

I haven't noticed it getting any higher than 4 bar, although it may have shot up very quickly just prior to "Blast off" 😬 without me noticing. Someone has suggested a faulty batch of filters?? I am going to buy a selection of filters to try over the weekend, and make sure I keep a beady eye on the pressure.

Mike

Starting from the easy things to check....

When you do the filter up, how do you define how tight to do it up - I think it used to be finger tight plus a half turn. (My definition is until my hands slip on the cartridge)

Immediately after the 'bang' did you notice any oil had been sprayed anywhere as it initially seeped out between the gasket and the pump?

On some engines, the thread that the filter screws on to is not a solid fixing, has it been screwed too far into the pump and therefore does not provide the grip for the filter?

As has been mentioned above, try a filter for a bog standard Vauxhall from halfrauds

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I am assuming the filter is the right one, as I got it from Redline, but I have been out at lunchtime and bought a Mann W77 from a local motor factor who has cross-referenced it against the part numbers that F355GTS supplied above.

I don't know how to tell if it has a non-return valve, or which way the oil is supposed to flow. How do I ascertain this?

Hi Graham,

How are you? Have you been back to Governor's since we met? Sue & I thought it was so fantastic, we'd love to go back.

As to the oil filter, I do it up pretty much as you say, basically as tightly as I can with my hands. I haven't checked if the oil initially sprayed anywhere - will do so tonight. I think the tread provides enough grip, because I can get several turns on the filter before it is tight. If this new filter is fired off as well, I will try the pressure relief valve.

Mike

OK...

I did here of somebody who had something in the filter go wrong which meant he had no oil pressure (but his sender said he did have as it upstream of the filter)

can't remember what the root cause was given as - i thought it was to do with the valve...

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Mike,

We are aiming to be back at Governors in 2004 - will be a quickish trip to Lake Naivasha, Governors, then over the border to the Serengeti, at then head to Arusha via Lake Manyara and the Ngorogoro Crater.

All rounded off with a week in Zanzibar at Breezes Beach.

We just need to find a legit way to cross the border without having to go back the the main Niarobi/Arusha road and checkpoint as that would waste 2 days. Was wondering about a charter flight direct, but I don't want to gain the status of illegal alien *thumbdown*

Is that enough to stop me suffering upgraditis - you bet!

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Many Vauxhall engines fitted to Caterhams had the thread changed to a Ford one - not sure why. This will mean that a Vauxhall filter is not compatible or vice versa if you have a Vauxhall thread.

You will have to make sure that you have the correct type of filter, but if it is a Caterham supplied engine it is likely to need a Ford filter.

I have just fitted the Mann filter, and been out for a drive & so far, no "Blast off"!. Everything seems OK, oil pressure is where it should be, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It may be that the filters I got from Redline were a duff batch. I'll give them a call in the morning.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Mike