Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Play in QR Wheels

Alex Birtwisle

I know this has been talked about before on here but just want advice/reasurance.

Just took delivery from Caterham a new QR steering wheel boss and upper column. It all fitted together with no problem.

On driving home I have noticed between 2mm and 2.3mm of play (measured at the outside circumference of the steering wheel). This movement is coming from the QR splines and not the rack or anywhere else.

Do I:

a) live with it?

b) send it back to Caterham and say - "send me a better one"?

c) use some bubble gum to take up the slack?

Cheers

Alex B

S713 UMY

1.8k Viper Blue with Crutch Straps

!BAN THE CUCUMBER!

Alex,

I have not had this problem at all with mine, although I seem to be somewhat of an exception.

When I purchased the additional QR boss at racetech last year they tried 2 or 3 before they found the best match.

Each 'slug' is matched to the boss prior to it being sent to caterham. Whether they keep them together once they arrive at caterham is a different story.....

Adam Parsons has just been round in his se7en to compare wobbley QR steering wheels *smile* .... it just so happens that his doesn't wobble and mine wobbles like a bu88er!!! *mad*

So ........... I will be sending mine back and getting another one *mad*

Alex B

S713 UMY

!BAN THE CUCUMBER!

Hoopy esque I know, I could of edited my last reply but chose to keep the posting rate up..

Hoopy-

Advantage, take off wheel when you leave the car, therfore scaly b*strard cant nick it easily - still won't deter the most determined but stops the scum.

hmmm....

you gain security but you also gain a bit of weight....

Aren't you more likely to have the wheel nicked from you than have the car itself nicked 🤔

Not convinced really. But I might try going to the pub with my old steering wheel to see if i get more street-cred 😬

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Edited by - hoopy on 13 Sep 2002 13:45:17

Hoopy me old mucker, it was the security issue i was trying to address when I got the QR. It also helps when I get in and out of the car with the hood up (good opportunity for you to tell me to ditch the hood and get an aeroscreen here!) 😬

I leave the car at the office over night (if i work nights) and also as it is my every day brum brum and I get a little concerned when she is left alone!

Alex

S713 UMY

!BAN THE CUCUMBER!

Mr Hooper - how many F1 cars do you see with a fixed 24" steering wheel? And how many Ford Mundanos/Nissan Micras?

You amaze me sometimes with your ridiculous statements. There is only one reason to have one - because you can. And it's cool.

And so what if that is two.

If you don't have one already I suggest you take your car back to Ratrace now and get one fitted.

Steering wheel on. Harnesses done up. Immobiliser key inserted. Aircraft stylee toggle flipped. Ignition on. Button pushed. Zizzz, zizzz bwarrrrp, bwarpp, BWARRRRP.

Take away any one of these and you ruin it. And it can only be made by better by having buttons to play with on the wheel to. You don't even need to leave the garage and it feels special.

alex - ditch the hood and ft adam's aeroscreen

I'll see if i can give you and rach a demo ride at some stage during the rumble. I guess it will be at the at end when my passenger is distracted by a burger 😬

Andy - 😬

my start up procedure is:

master key - check

belts (all 6) - check

key in - check

flip toggle - check

click switch - check

lift switch once more - 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

I see your "its cool" point - but I don't get it....

anyway - my car is red so its waaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler that you two with your yellow (Andy) and blue (Alex) cars

😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

it can't be as nice as mine though. cos my car is the best car in the world ever 😬. although another 60 bhp and prehaps a sequential box and a stack dash would all help *wink*

I've not seens a colour scheme i like more than mine. but since i choose it - it should be 😬

so - does anybody *not* love their seven more than anybody elses 🤔

• 1 month later...

The QR soon became really wobbly again so this time I went to LifeLine Fire and Safety Systems who now supply the QR boss and column to Caterham. They said there should be no play whatsoever.

They replaced it with a new one that is absolutley rock solid ... just as it should be.

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue with Black Bits