Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Data logging + (possibly) video

Andrew Willoughby

I'm currently looking into data-logging with my impending entry to Class 3. Trouble is, I know absolutely nothing about which kit to get . I know that I want easily-analysed data which helps me to see what I'm doing at different parts of a run. The equipment needs to be easy to install and use, and the possibility of linking it to video, either now or as a later add-on, would also be good.

I've looked at the Race Technology DL1 and Racelogic Video VBOX Lite, but have got about as far as I can without some knowledgeable help.

I know that several sprinters are using data-logging and wondered what recommendations anyone could make.

Thanks in anticipation *thumbup*

Andrew

I'm interested in this "new" product, but in the meantime, I'll offer my opinion on the two alternatives.

To me, the comparison is that the DL1/Video4 is much more expensive if you want integrated video, but if you want real time feedback, then you can have a Dash3 for a couple of hundred quid. Also, the DL1 is a much more focussed logger, with inputs for logging anything you want (steering wheel position, throttle position, etc.) as opposed to the GPS factors + revs (which both do).

If it's video and gps logging you want, go for the VBox lite. If you want much more information, or real time feedback, then go for the DL1. If you want video and detailed logging, get a bigger mortgage!

Jez

PS I have a DL1 that I got from here, and will get a Dash3 for it now that I'm going to be allowed to use it ...

• Area Representative

I ran a datalogger (DL1) for the first time last year.

Initially, before we'd used it, Tom wanted to see the video integrated into the data (and was even prepared to pay for the licence at £199 *eek*). However, during a pre season day at Curborough, he felt that adding the video to the data would just confused the issue, and that he could see all that he needed to see with the data alone.

Because I was interested, and its the sort of thing that I can do myself relitively easily, I decided to log more than most, and along with the normal GPS and accelerometer information, I'm also recording, engine revs, throttle position, Steering angle, brake pressure (with a very lucky, cheap EBAY purchase of a suitable transducer), wheel speed for both front wheels, and rear wheels speed (by counting diff flange bolts).

In reality, most of the time, we simply look at speed and position, which is achievable with no additional hardware.

What our logging soon showed up, is that Tom and I drive the car in a different manner. Even when we are split by a tenth or two, our style is notably different.

August Curborough was interesting because after our first runs, we could both see where the other was quicker. Tom could see that I was quicker around the "Molehill", when he tried to dive it as I do, he overshot (not much, but enough to loose a tenth or two). He is normally quicker out of "Fradley" than I am. When I tried his style, I slowed too much and went slower than I normally do!

Aintree was a similar story. Tom slows more for each corner, and gets a good exit. I tend to carry more speed through the corner, that then compromises my exit.

If you're gointo analyse data with speed, position, and video, then you really do need a large screen to be able to see it all clearly!

Great advice - thank you *thumbup*. DL1 certainly looks to do a great job and is well-proven in our competition, though I'm intrigued by Race Keeper.

The other issue, of course, is which data is the most useful. Just identifying my slow sectors at Harewood and Shelsley has helped me to gain time in the past. From my uneducated position I would guess that knowing braking points, speed carried through a corner, line and throttle position would be really useful. I can't help thinking, though, that if I had too much data I wouldn't be able to see the wood for the trees .

What do you find most useful to you?

Andrew

Edited by - Andrew Willoughby on 10 Jan 2011 17:05:32

Unlike Richard, and due to the fact that I had to take the DL1 out for every event, and then put it back in for testing (and so ease of fitting was the most important factor for me, along with leaving no trace in the car when it was out) I have only used the GPS/accelerometer.

You can tell when you're on the power/brakes from the accelerometer feedback, although I will log throttle position this year, to make sure I'm getting on the power properly (and not sitting with balanced throttle too much). I will also log revs this year, to make sure I'm getting the best out of the (new) shift lights ...

I will probably leave it at that, although logging each wheel would be fascinating for getting the brake setup perfect *eek* I've also seen steering wheel mapped against cornering force, to show how the best drivers manage to stay right on the limit of adhesion, but I really don't think that would benefit me Yet! 😬

Jez