Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonnet

Aidan Parte

I may be able to help, I have ali bonnet off my short cockpit 7, it is a sprint spec so only has a tear drop hole in the side, rather than the full double oval opening. This suits twin 40 doce's but only with the thinner air filters. Its in reasonably good condition, with only a few small scratches etc. Let me know if you would like any further info etc.

mat

M.j.norris@ex.ac.uk

There are two things to look out for, one easy and the other not so!

1) Obvious difference is that some long cockpit 7 have extra bonnet vents, but I believe the general dimensions are the same

2) later caterhams/long cockpits use sprung loaded rear bonnet clips. The part attached to the bonnet is slightly different and the short cockpit standard toggle clips don't fit. I changed my s/c bonnet (for wider filters!) and found this problem. you have to choices, 1) order a bonnet from Arch motors through caterham and specify no clips on the bonnet - this can take over 4 weeks. 2) buy new spring loaded clips and replace the ones on the body tub. But beware some creative needle filing of the location holes will be needed to fit the new clips and adjust the bonnet fit. I also had to re-adjust my nosecone. Basically it was a pig of a job, but looks great now!

Mat

Thanks for the info. I would probably make a real hash of fitting the new clips! I also need to do it on the cheap as I'm in the process of buying my first house, so buying a new bonnet is probably out.

Do you reckon it would be easy to open your teardrop hole to fit the bigger filters? I suppose you would have done it yourself if it was.

A new bonnet was less than I expected at £100 plus about £10 for the clips. I suppose it is possible to open up the teardrop, the difficlty would be in folding the edge back to make a neat/safe finish. But if you wern't opposed to fitting some rubber edging type stuff it may look ok. I'f you are desperate for a bonnet, I have the thinner K&N filters too - there not in great shape so, I'm not looking for much for them.

Mat

Mat

I've had a look at my bonnet and the brackets on the bonnet look identical front and rear, even though there is a spring on the front and a sort of over-centre clip at the rear. I think I 'll try to get a bonnet secondhand or new and change the clips or whatever as necessary. Thanks for your help.

Mat

I've had a look at my bonnet and the brackets on the bonnet look identical front and rear, even though there is a spring on the front and a sort of over-centre clip at the rear. I think I 'll try to get a bonnet secondhand or new and change the clips or whatever as necessary. Thanks for your help.

Mat

Mat

• 4 weeks later...

I have modified the bonnet hole on mine to take a larger air filter and no longer have the folded edge. It is fine like that, quite neat and not at all unsafe.

You can buy some very fine black rubber beading, about 3mm diameter and split in half. I had that on for a year or so then one day it came loose and vanished backwards at warp speed, since then it's been unadorned and doesn't look odd at all.

Opening up the hole is best done with a nibbler rather than shears if you can beg steal or borrow one. The best thing I have found to finish off the hole is an emery flap wheel in an electric drill.