Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R300 Petrol Smell

DC

I have just returned from the Caterham showroom, and have had a fantastic test drive in the R300. The engine is glorious, revving up to 8000, the handling superb with the new 15" Avon rubbers and the sound is out of this would (if a little loud). It really is the best Caterham I have driven with one reservation, there was a smell of petrol on the overrun. Jason informs me this is a trait with roller barrels, but I know that my dear wife would not put up with such a whiff. Is there anybody running an R300 that has the same problem, or was it peculiar to R300XPR?

Dave C

WEL653

I am wondering what it is that you were smelling because engines of this type needn't be that unsociable smelling. There is the possibility of stand-off, but the R300 cams are not excessively wild so I wouldn't expect much fuel to appear at the trumpets. It is more likely to be a faint whiff coming from the engine catch tank vent, which will be a smell of burnt fuel and hot oil or a leak from the fuel tank breather - these have been known to be open, resulting in fuel spillage.

Not sure if the R300 runs a charcoal cannister and purge valve but I suppose these could be responsible and related to fuel tank venting.

Simon, when you say that yours stinks, are you yet running on the road? (love the build diary and the grease girls) I have been speaking to two friends who have SLRs with roller barrels (in effect R400s) and they don’t have the same problem, although one had a slight smell until the ECU was remapped. I think I will have to have a word with Minister.

Dave C

WEL653