Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CSR Spare Tyre

jimh

*arrowup* I had been looking more for what tyre would replace the rear on a front rim as an emergency wheel / tyre combo - did not think to see just how much of a difference the 50 ratio would be compared to the standard

Buy yes 20mm - My CSR has about that as clearance under the front arch - What a conundrum this is for CSR owners who want to tour.

Make it clear the front arch and this is an option - The front wheel BTW is not standard - there is a portion machined off the rear hub area from the standard 15 inch wheel - so it needs to be a front you use from a CSR not a standard one...

The rear tyres are unique and the front wheels are unique - afaict

the 20mm will effectively be split top and bottom so 10mm higher at wing, thats still getting on for 1/2inch (for us old fogies 😬) not sure I have that between trailing edge of wing and tyre, maybe worth a test if you have a friendly tyre fitter with a tyre in stock, I cannot measure as car not with me at the moment.

Tim

CSR 200 Aztec and Black

Edited by - tbird on 12 Jan 2011 17:51:08

Options :

Take risk

Carry can(s) of tyre weld

Carry tyre weld, & compressor/pump

Carry tyre weld, compressor & puncture kit

Have good Recovery breakdown cover

Keep spare tyres (front & rear) at home for shipment/transport to you, arrange fitment (days tick by)

Have CSR adapted to carry spare. Put rear tyre on carrier as it is possible to get the 195mm tyre width through ‘local’ agents whereas the 245mm is as rare as rocking horse carp

Sell car

Rob

Hi Paul *wavey*

As Jo said before, we carry a spare front wheel which fits both front and rear. I see many references to the requirement of spacers to be able to fit the front wheels on the rear. What are these spacers for? Our front fits the rear easily and doesn't foul anything. Am I missing something?

I'm seriously considering buying another pair of front wheels for the rear of the car, to be used whilst travelling abroad. A simple adjustment of the rear dampers to give the correct rake is all that's required. I know that many will baulk at the idea of running 260 BHP on 7'' tyres but there are plenty of Sevens out there doing exactly that.

I like the idea of a puncture repair kit. I think I'll get one of those, this, as well as a spare wheel and two cans of tyreweld, but that's me all over, Belt/Braces... and another Belt 😬

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens)

Hi Martin *wink*, Jo 😬, with regard to the wheel spacers, the front wheel hubs on a CSR have been machined to allow a greater inset than is normal, so when used on the rear, they will sit in too far, which may not matter for a short and slow distance. If spacers are used to push them further outwards on the rear, the studs will need to be changed for longer ones though.

Maybe your fronts haven't been machined though as the car was built from scratch with the rear carrier, you'll have to compare them with another CSR when you have the opportunity.

If you wear two sets of belt and braces, you can be sure your trousers will never fall down *biggrin*

Paul J.

Paul

You say that the front wheels on the rear will 'sit in too far'. What affect does this have? As I said my front wheels don't foul anything at all when fitted on the rear. I'm not being argumentative; I simply want to learn as much as possible.

Tim

No I've not had to use the front as a spare on the rear (yet). I have tried it out, but literally just round the block, so to speak. My theory about using a front wheel as a spare is just that... a theory. Hopefully I'll never have to put it to the test, but I would like to know that I can, if the need arises.

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens)