Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust specification for high power K-series

Shaun_E

• Support Team

What are the latest thoughts on exhaust tube diameters and lengths for a 240-250bhp K series? Engine will be a 1.9 with ported VVC head, larger valves, 1721/1444 cams, 42mm Jenveys.

I have an SLR 4-2-1 exhaust at the moment which has 1.75" primaries, 2" secondaries and a 2.25" collector.

Although achieving good power and torque are the primary requirements, it must be quiet so the silencer needs to be a decent length which may compromise the primary/secondary length.

Most of the big power Ks seem to use the R500 4-1 or similar - is this the best route?

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

stick with what you have if I were you. The cam spec you have already makes the step in power at 5500 so violent that the rear tyres cant cope on a sprint from cold in the first 4 gears .

or contact Mark Durrant who has a spec for a custom exhaust with lengths that probably suit your cams and setup but it will cost a pretty penny....

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

• Support Team

BSA - I don't know yet - engine has yet to be built!. I am seriously thinking about sticking to 1444 for the inlet as well as the exhaust as I can't find anyone running the 1721 inlet cam yet. It's not even listed on the Piper website unless it has an alternative designation.

I have decided to stick with the SLR exhaust for now but have the specification for a possibly more optimal design should I need it.

• Leadership Team

Shaun, your engine spec will be the same as mine (with 1444 cams) and running the same exhaust - 240+bhp is not a problem and the power delivery is really sweet. As DJ says, stick with what you have!

Stu.

Shaun i am building an engine to the same spec as yours apart from i am using a set of Caterham roller barrels , Bottom end is Farndon crank 1900 block top is a VVC head with Ivey Valves and 1444 cams inlet & exhaust i have been told the Engine will Rev slightly higher with a 1721 in let cam *confused* Iam going to use a R500 4-1 non cat system with a larger BTB silencer

Matt

• Support Team

Some good info there - thanks.

Oliver - one can never have enough power *wink* - I'm up against R500s and 2.3 Duratecs. I already have an airbox and will keep that - have not run without it so don't know if I would get more power. Noise is a major issue these days!

I will go for the 1444 inlet and re-use my SLR exhaust. The 1721 inlet doesn't seem to fit my requirements as my new rev limit will be 8500rpm so I really need peak power to be below 8500rpm.

BSA - everyone I have talked to says the 4-1 will give you a dip in the midle of the torque curve. I can't comment as I have always had the SLR pipes on my (226bhp) engine.

226 moving to 245bhp wont make you any faster especially if your not reving the engine any further than present ☹️, in fact on the short hill and sprint courses it will probably be slower with less low down torque

260bhp +of full fat power at 8700rpm with 200ftlb of talks is what you need *tongue*

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 7 Jan 2011 16:46:52

• Support Team

Currently only revving to 8000 which is partly what prompted the rebuild (that and I've done 20000+ miles and 5 seasons on this engine). 8500, maybe 8600, will give me a few more mph and put me back in the thick of the power band on upchange. It won't make me much faster but at the bigger circuits (Goodwood, Castle Combe, Anglesey) it might give me a few tenths. It's been pretty close this year in class 5 and every tenth counts!