Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX 1600 Cam belt

Tezza7

I am about to change the cam belt on my VX Classic which has only done 12k miles but is 12 years old. Can anyone tell me whether the tensioner is of the automatic variety or the manual version?

The Haynes manual for the engine covers both.

Is changing the tensioner at the same time obligatory?

Any pitfalls to watch out for other than the obvious ones regarding valve timing issues?

Thanks *wavey*

Hi *wavey*,

It should be obvious when you have the cam cover off. I seem to remember,from my Corsa days the tensioner is somewhere near the crank pully. If it's a plastic tensioning wheel, I would change it as a matter of course. Quite often they come in the cambelt kit anyway.

Check the water pump for play while your at it.

HTH,

Regards,

Giles

Hi

An update on the cam belt for future reference. My 8v VX 1600 (1998) is fitted with an automatic tensioner. It is the type described in the Haynes VX Cavalier manual as the one fitted post 1993 onwards. So, there was no need to disturb the water pump. Perhaps as well because the tensioner obscures one of the water pump bolts.

The belt that came off looked fine but given it was 12 years old (but only 12000 miles) I thought it had better be changed.

Job done. 😬

• 4 years later...
Hi there, i am very new to being a caterham owner and was wondering if anyone can tell me is it difficult to change the cambelt on a 2000 vauxhall 1600 8 valve, is there anything you really need to watch out for when doing the job. A detailed procedure would be good. The car has done 20000 and 14 years old and i believe never had a cambelt change. ..

A detailed procedure would be good.

Martin: Unfortunately there are a vast number of threads on this and I don't know and just can't tell if there is a detailed procedure anywhere. As above, and here, there are several recommendations for the Haynes manual, and I'd guess that someone will lend you a copy... there is one offer in that linked thread.

Are you going to buy or try and borrow the tools?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your reply i was thinking of buying the tools if not too expensive, when you say there are lots of threads on here how do you find them as when i searched could only find the one i tagged my comment on to above..thanks Martin