Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heat shielding - alternator and starter

Mole

Having searched previous threads on K-series starter problems (and alternator problems) I get the impression that most of these are connected with having 4-1 or 4-2-1 exhausts with long primaries which run much closer (rather than the "standard" short 4-1 manifold). As I am about to ditch my "banana-bunch" 4-1 in favour of something better, I want to install some effective heat shielding to avoid everything getting cooked (small conifer in pot).

I'm interested to know what others have done 🤔

Suggestions please- particularly where these involve "solid" heat-shields *thumbup*rather than the "wrapping" approach *thumbdown*.

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

Thanks Peter - so is there any point in heat-shielding this area (presumably it will help a little) 🤔 Think I'll get a Brise solenoid and hold it as a spare for when the current one fails

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

If you can do the heat shielding well, it can't be a bad idea, but I managed to get really pissed off with the heat shielding that I tried when the nasty clips ripped huge chunks of flesh out my hands while trying to work on the car. It is more complication than is necessary and lots of cars do fine without resorting to it.

I use heat shielding of the starter in two forms.

The four primary exhaust pipes are lagged with heatshield tape and the electrical cables to it are run in over size heat shield reflective tube with forms an effective shield for the whole soleniod. Both treatments have survived two engine outs although I relagged the exhaust after Le Sept because it got covered by the internals and vital liquids of a large (dead) pheasant.

instead of lagging it get the exhaust camcoated. its a ceramic coating that is VERY hard wearing, HUGELY reduces the temperature and looks really nice. so no more polishing the exhaust every winter.

For example after filling with petrol i can easily touch the manifold (to fiddle with the starter, a wire was loose) but did burn myself on a nearby chassis rail...

i think they'll only do a new system though.

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*