Click here if you are having website access problems ×

de dion noises

Scott Tully

I'll explain this a bit long windedly as it sounds like you've only just got the car and havn't experienced them much. pd congrats on making a great purchase *thumbup*

First thing - Caterham clunk more than normals cars do as there no sound deadening material etc.

Assuming it *is* a problem...

Is everything is tightened up sufficiently - give the wheels a tug and see if anything feels like its moving. it will a bit as the tyre will flex. but does it feel more mechanical than that 🤔

next then - has the diff lug been removed (it wasn't when i got my s/h car *mad* )

is it a dedion or a live axle 🤔

if its a dedion (the rear axle will be a solid bar - a live axle has a BIG bulge in the middle about 10" across) then have a look under the car for the differetial - its the shiny casing about 10" accross and 8" in height in the middle of the car at the back. It should be pretty much flat at the back. Youave to cut a lump of ali about 5 cm long off it to achieve this. If its not cut off it will stick out into the way of the dedion tube as it goes upwards to full travel. mine was like this for a good few years until i realised *eek* 😳

other thoughtrs - something catching something else - have a look around - is there any worn metal visible where something might be touching 🤔

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Don't think its the Jack as I have moved it.

It only happens when I go over a large bump or pot hole, it seem to be coming from the middle of the car.

Ive checked everything and it all seems tight. Where do I look to find the "Lump"?

It is hard to see crawling under a seven. *confused*

Azure Blue SV 1800 K Series GK52OUO.

easiest way may be to take one wheel off and look from the side. There should be nothing between the dedion tube and the boot floor (a few pipes maybe). The lump sticks out quite obviously if its there.

it may be that my car was the only one ever built where the first instruction in the manual (ie cut the lump off) was omitted. But it wasn't spotted for a long time by several garages so...

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

this may help here

(1) is the dedion tube, and the diff is just under the (5)

ehile i'm here...

(2) are the dedion ears

(3) are the halfshafts or driveshafts. hmmm.. technically the former i think. anybody 🤔

(4) are the radius arms

(5) is the aframe (not all of it is highlighted)

the page that the pic is on has some good pictures but much of the text is inaccurate to say the least. I've not updated my website for some time

Edited by - hoopy on 14 Sep 2002 09:23:33

Thanks Hoopy, I'll take of the wheel and check.

Can you help on this one, i was looking underneath the back earlier and noticed oil on the bottom of the fuel tank. It had run down from a pipe at the top of the fuel tank, it looked like a breather from the engine but am unsure anyway it was definatly oil and had come from this pipe. The pipe was rubber and had a tiewrap on it to hold it in place on the tank, any suggesions what it could be.

Azure Blue SV 1800 K Series GK52OUO.

scott it is a breather what you think is oil .is petrol and **** of the ground clean it up with a rag and wd 40 or what ever you want to use *wink* you also have a pipe on the top of the diff that can spurt out oil on heavy corners or track this is also a breather

Edited by - fred on 14 Sep 2002 20:56:28

• Support Team

Have you got an underslung rear anti-roll bar?

If you have, it runs very close to the underside of the diff even when the diff casing has been filed down. i had a banging noise over bumps and it was cured by a 50mm piece of heater hose wrapped around the arb and secured with tie-wraps

• Support Team

Scott

I took the car down to John Noble's for its post-build check over but I haven*t needed to have anything done to it yet so I can*t comment first hand on how good he is.

He has been in the game for at least twenty years to my certain knowledge and still works in the business himself (he made a point of introducing himself to me when I was down there).

I*ve never heard any negative comment. Has anyone else used him for any work other than post-buid checks (I seem to remember Julian Thompson describing his trip over the pennines)?