Click here if you are having website access problems ×

more horse power for my k series

Scott Tully

LOL!!!

Throttle boddies, ECU, cams, porting - then more expensive stuff is pistons, crank, exhaust etc etc.

I have heard some good reports of people changing to 4-2-1 exhaust and a decent ECU. That will prob cost about 800 - 1000.

Then you would be all ready for a set of TBs at about 500 quid.

All the above is DIY - apart from the mapping. If you live near south london you are 😬

X777CAT

agree with Johnty. the exhaust should be one where four pipes come out the side then nerge to 1 pipe. the type that does this in the car should have been put down at birth. The caterham one is well over 500 quid. for about 500 somebody like powerspeed will make you a superior item. This could be worth upto 10 bhp.

A mappable ECU is the next step - the caterham ECU for the std 1.8 is (or used to be - i presume the "Xpower" lark hasn't changed it) desgined for a shopping metro not a caterham. an Emerald ECU is the one to get and is about 600 quid. This can be mapped properly to make the car more drivable and has resulted in BIG low down torque increases as well (up to 15 ft lbs i think in one case).

After this you can really play and just tweak the ECU to make use of the changes. without the ECU then throttle bodies, cams etc are total waste of time.

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

I think it's worth mentioning that if you have an EU3 k-series engine there is no simple way of upgrading to an Emerald ECU as there isn't one that is plug-compatible with the EU3 loom. ☹️.

This is being worked on but it isn't clear when it will be available. So to all of those who keep posting that upgrading to the Emerald ECU is the way to go, show some consideration for the growing number of k-series owners who just can't do this ☹️ ☹️ ☹️.

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

Moves are afoot to produce an adaptor loom to allow the M3DK to work with an EU3 loom, getting an Emerald ECU installed and working is a straightforward DIY operation, there is a library of maps for the K from mild to wild, you will need to calibrate the throttle pot (5 mins) and play a little with the idle settings but then with the correct map it should run acceptably well. If you are keen you can book a RR mapping session at Emerald.

Oily

Not sure. Was thinking about replacing the VHPD induction with roller barrels and also looking at the engine management unit. I've heard the VHPD cams are reasonable so not sure whether it would be worth starting down the route of looking at cams, head, valves and bottom end. I think my aim is to squeeze perhaps another 20-30 reliable bhp out of the car, but not to make it an undriveable beast. I'd also like to look at ways of quietening it without robbing too much power - it's currently about 102-103dB on 3/4 throttle (no cat, with 4-2-1 exhaust).

Andrew

Yellow SLR T777XXX

250bhp K-series can be eminently driveable... (I seem to remember)

Don't be distracted by the roller barrel throttle bodies. They aren't that well designed and all you need are properly lined up butterfly valved throttle bodies to get the desired power. The roller barrels probably give you 2 bhp at most. On the VHPD it is the manifold that is at fault.

Mine has the original throttle bodies and cams and produced 204bhp last time I RR'd it. It's had a top-dollar head job (by Mr DVAPower) which is screaming for me to install the new 1227 cams I've got in the garage. Then it's likely to be approaching 220bhp.

I really don't think the throttle bodies are your limiting factor yet, and you certainly don't need to touch the bottom end to squeeze 20-30bhp more as long as you can achieve that gain by staying under 8000rpm which is exactly what I intend to do.

In your shoes I'd change the ECU and get a set of vernier pulleys. Properly timed and mapped you should see 200bhp. I did.

In addition, the roller barrels, whilst nice and pretty to look at, do nothing more than a set of Jenvey direct to head throttle bodies do at considerably less £££ (although they've risen in price recently, quite sharply too).

Mine's easy to drive very powerful and torquey. There's no reason to believe it'll be any different once the new cams are installed. Enough people have the spec I'm incrementally crawling towards and theirs are fine on the road.

As you appear to be close to Oily, I'd arrange a chat with him. No-one knows more about tuning the K in many people's opinion (including mine).

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Thanks for the advice, could save me the cost of the rb's! I will have a chat with Dave. Reliable and driveable 220bhp seems a nice target.

Are the verniers a direct performance enhancement or do you have them to help setting cam timing?

Andrew

Yellow SLR T777XXX

The verniers allow you to set the cam timing *properly* both with the exisiting cams and any replacements. In my experience the VHPD cams are timed way off the mark, this costs performance and tractability. I will shortly be supplying an upgrade kit consisting of Emerald ECU, verniers and fitting/cam timing for the VHPD.

Oily

I will shortly be supplying an upgrade kit consisting of Emerald ECU, verniers and fitting/cam timing for the VHPD.
In my opinion and experience this should be the first port of call for all SLR owners. At least then you positively know that your engine is supplying as much power as it can with the current parts fitted.

I would like to see someone crack the MBE ECU password supplied by Caterham for the R400's next, so that they can be mapped properly too, in conjunction a pair of vernier pulleys.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours