Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Axle stands - de-dion

alicat

I have a fantastic owners handbook which shows you where to position axle stands under a se7en. Front position is fine, but info, and diagram in book shows stands under a live axle a rear, not much use on a dedion. Please help

Where should they be positioned at the rear? *mad*

these two descriptions come to very different things - both are useful though.

the "second chassis rail from the back" i think means where the A-frame joins the chassis. ie in front of the rear wheel but just back of where the paint stops (so its several inches back from the front of the arch). This will let the rear suspension dangle down. so its not so great if you want to change the wheel but its great if you want to work on the rear end.

The "axle meets drive shaft" (fails in love, raises family, moves to texas, dvorces moves back to lichfield story) is the end of the dedion tube. this lives the rear of the car by the rear suspension. has the advantage that the rear suspension is designed to do this, but you can't change anything on the rear suspension as its all loaded up.

so - depends what your doing really. both work and are used.

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*

Hoopy, how does the first type of axle point stop you from removing the wheel?

If the suspension is unloaded then this surley hhas to be the best way to axle stand the car due to being able to work on all parts without moving the stands.

Just athought thats all, have to increase my PPD (Posts Per Day)

Keith 😬

pieboy - i meant to explain that you need to jack it up further than if you use the dedion tube jacking point to get the wheel clear of the ground. Looks like i forgot to *Actually* say that.

Peter - I prefer to use the mounting block as its a sunstantial *solid* lump. no point risking damaging the comparatively thin walled tube surely 🤔

or is it different if you have the a frame mounted to the chassis tube instead of the lug underneath. I believe they keep swapping between these two mounting points....

HOOPY R706KGU CYCLE WINGS *thumbup* AEROSCREEN *thumbup* K SERIES *thumbup* CUCUMBER *thumbdown*