Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

wiring up a starter button

bcm1

I would like to wire up a dash mounted starter button in my car (X-flow grad race car). Have the correct button from caterham but a little unsure (yes and embarrassed to admit) dont really know which wires to take from the ignition switch, can anyone help me

thanks

Ben

Paul,

I'm also a non-techie and I have just wired mine up following the instructions from Kevin Thomas's website at http://7gallery.co.uk/ (thanks Kev for the nice,clear and simple instructions). Took me about 20 mins I think (just the wiring that is). I've copied the instructions here for you. Good luck

Fitting the Big Red Starter Button couldn't be easier, this was how I (Kevin Thomas) did it:

1) Disconnect the battery.

2) The hard bit, work out where you want the button to go, and cut a suitable sized hole, being careful not to catch any wires behind the dash. I used a drill to make a series of holes to get a rough hole and then finished it off with a Dremel.

3) Measure the distance between the button and the ignition and cut two lengths of appropriate ampage auto electrical wire (allowing for cable routing). Cut a third length of wire about 6 inches long.

4) Take one of the long lengths and the short length and twist the ends together and attach a female spade connector. Attach a male spade connector to the other end of the short cable and a suitably sized female connector (for connection to the button) to the other end of the long wire. This is wire A.

5) Attach a male spade connector to one end of the other wire, and again, a suitably sized female connector to the other end for attachment to the button. This is wire B.

6) Remove the black shroud from the rear of the ignition barrel, it should just slide off. Feed the new wires you have assembled through this shroud.

7) Locate the connector on the ignition barrel with two brown wires attached, remove this connector and taking wire A, attach the female spade connector to the ignition barrel where you have just removed the brown wires. Connect the male spade connector to the brown wires you have just removed. Run the remaining long end to one terminal on the button.

8) Locate the connector on the ignition barrel with the red & white wire attached, remove this connector and taking wire B, attach the male spade connector to the red & white wire. Run the other end of the wire to the other terminal on the button.

9) Reconnect the battery, turn on the ignition using the key and press the button. Simple really!

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

For wiring details, the I found the instructions below very helpful. This was shamelessly copied of the post "starter button - jobs a good un"

Flip switch and starter button now installed and working a treat ! .

Wiring is as follows :

remove black shroud around ignition switch ( warning this is the point of no return as at cannot be refitted ), on the rear of the ignition unit are 3 male connections marked as 50 , 30 & 15

50 = Red / white wire ( Starter motor signal )

30 = 2 brown ( Constant live )

15 = 2 white + 1 red ( ignition on/off )

Add 2 feeds from brown wires 30 .

connect ignition flip switch to wires from 15 & 30 .

connect starter button to wires from 50 & 30 .

reconnect battery / master switch .

Flip your switch , press your button and Vrooom ! Jobs a good un !

Now the difficut bit..... where on the dash do I mount them ??

I agree with the above, but the bit about shroud-no return etc is bol.... ,err, not true.

It can be pushed back into place OK.

Note the ignition switch itself can be removed from the barrel by removing the small screw/grub screw (it can vary) underneath. It is only that screw that holds the thing on. Pretty poor I think in security terms, but hopefully the steering lock does its job!

It makes it easier to sort the wiring out though.

Clamshell Club Founder Member.