Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow fuel consumpstion?

Mark H

I have tried a search before asking this but got zero response.So what do you get 🤔

And how far do go on the trip or do you trust the fuel gauge 🤔

We all know about the crossflows thirsty habits on the webbers but have any of you got a fuel injected crossflow 🤔 and if so is it a big improvement 🤔

Marc *wink*

the more i knock off the faster it gets !

Marc, never trust any fuel gauge! best to keep fuel in the tank at all times, no matter how much(stops condensation forming thus reducing corrosion).As for fuel consumpsion, dont bother! are you looking to tour the alps? .If it was that important then you would not have bought the car in the first place!If it is then sell ones car and try driving some awfull oil burner that has performance out the ark, but returns a trillion mlies to the gallon. But on a reasonable note the X-Flow returns about 22-26mpg on the road, on a circuit about halve that. Fuel injection would improve mpg as would running a 3d ignition unit, but in terms of outlay it would not be cost effective, and in doing so would improve power slightly, thus using said power=same mpg.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

Peter i use my car each and everyday have done for the last couple of years , i was simply curious as to what the other crossfloe owners get. im lucky if i get 20mpg on the road thats a standard 1600 sprint

i have never trusted my fuel gauge, i let the trip go toabout 150 max before i hunt out the next petrol station.

the more i knock off the faster it gets ! *eek*

Edited by - Marc Hicks on 11 Sep 2002 21:39:17

Low 20s , on a 1700ss with a four speed box, pricey leaded stuff too ☹️

What about a 4 x bike CV carb conversion? These are much more sophisticated than Webers and about £80 a set from breakers, IIRC someone was thinking of trying it a while ago. 🤔

Mark

I service the car myself, i am a mec. by trade. it might improve to about 24 /26 on a long run 5th gear all the time but being a 7 you try to aviod thosetimes as much as possible. the poor thing has now clocked 62000 just starting to use a bit of oil but not bad. nor does she breath heavily unless thrassed senseless. I have been thinking that i should rebuild the carbs some time soon. But with me that would proberbly mean a complete engine rebuild i can,t help myself some times , i have to take stuff apart *tongue*

The one thing in its favour is its not slow if out on a blat with some of the other lads in the area.

My that is quite a milage for a seven with a x-flow, in that case a rebuild might be in order as your distributer sounds like it could be worn, throwing out your timing all over the place.A nice rebore could indeed restore power and fuel consumption!

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)

20-24 is my best. 180 miles to a tank is the max, which equates to 22.5 mpg, with enough left to get some gas urgently.

This is a 1700ss with 40 DCOEs. £10 of unleaded gets me to work and back which is just over 60 miles. This works out as 23 mpg. So spot on. If you want an everyday seven better get a K series, but it doesn't sound or drive right. *thumbup*

Dave Robertson

Drill and Tap Pressure Nipples to Cyl Side of Butterflys, Attatch 4x Vac pipes and run to a small common collector with one exit pipe to the Vac advance on your Distributor (probably just sat there unless you have an unleaded distributor) couple this with max and min Advance settings as per DVAs website, and your away! 3d for 50p

Hope that helps

Steve.

• Area Representative

Hi Marc,

My 1600 Sprint in my last Classic returned around 23-25 mpg all the time with a mixture of fast roads and town driving. It had the 1600 engine with 5 speed box but had the live axle (if that makes much difference to consumption)... About 150/60 miles was about as much as I wanted to go on a tank before looking for a refill as well.

I had it rolling road tested earlier this year and that made a big difference to the response and tractability plus consumption so it was £100 well spent at Aldon Automotive. Shame when it went for its MOT, I was unaware of the emission rules for self built cars and the garage "twiddled" the carbs slightly to make it conform....hmmm *mad* Maybe a good idea to have it RR'd although with 62k it might be requiring a little more!

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

But i did,nt think the internals were the same

Are they then 🤔

It has the standard caterham late 80s lucas electronic ign. which i have stuggled to get replacement parts for before *confused* and was advised to fit a aldon igniter kit but i took one look at it and fixed the lucas myself,

ps .for sale aldon igniter kit 😬

Nick i think your right it proberly does need a bit more than a RR session ,but its interesting that you had yours done and found a gain *thumbup* IMHO its the only way to set them up properly *wink* i fumble about the old fashioned way *eek*

I get early 20s with 'normal' road driving, less on a motorway driving to trackdays - probably mid-teens.

Even less for trackday driving - I reckon double digits (but only just) wouldn't surprise me if it was in single figures. *thumbdown*

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Marc, I have a low mileage 1600 4 speed live axle, 1985 model 45000 kms. In a highway/blatting use on back roads I get between 320 - 360 kms. Car is standard except for electronic ignition, very good K an N type airfilters with built in ram tube bases, a fair bit of sorting of jets etc. Ignition and filters made a colossal difference to the way it runs. Using Optimax as well on standard Caterham head 9000kms no sign of valve recession as yet. Our roads are lightly trafficked compared to yours I suppose that would contribute as well

Most of the problem with thirsty crossflows is down to the lack of vacuum advance, as described. Getting vacuum advance back again gives massive improvements in driveability and part throttle fuel economy. 3d mapped ignition does the same job.

If you want to increase your range, go for 3d mapped ignition and get the bonus of better driveability as well.